Faulty Sound Card??

Benevolent822

Beta member
My quadcore i7, 6 GB of Ram, Windows 7 HP laptop (barely 1 1/2 years old) has been through a lot. We're talking viruses, and some potential overheating. The "virus" turned out to be a missing component of Avast! that caused all kinds of problems upon startup. It wasn't but 6 months ago that I did a factory defaults revert to end the problem completely, because the laptop has good specs and was worth more than what little I had on it. Now I literally have almost nothing installed or downloaded on it and am experiencing performance issues.
I just bought a new USB Microphone. When I plug it in and listen to what it sounds like without hitting the "record" button, it sounds great and there's nothing wrong. But when i hit record, it will record for 2 seconds, then stop recording for 2 seconds, then record again for about 2 seconds, then stop recording for 2 seconds. Everytime it "hiccups", it will hold the noise that it was making right when the hiccup started (like an annoying honk, for example, The weather outsiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii fire is so deeeeeeeeeee since we've noooooooooooooo it snow lettttttttttttttt). You catching my drift? I also noticed it does the same thing with computer games, albeit a little less often. When i play music on my computer or even just watch a video on Youtube, it works perfectly fine. It's not only the sound, but the entire screen that freezes up for those 2 seconds (or longer). Is it a performance issue? Or is it a sound card issue? Or it might even be a hardware issue. What would you suggest I do?

Try updating your graphics drivers from the manufacturer's website (not HP).

What are your GPU / CPU temps while idle and when it does this? Run HWMonitor and post them.

My laptop was custom made with a higher grade Radeon graphics card. Now when I go searching for it under Devices Manager, I can't find it anywhere. All I see is Intel(R) HD Graphics. So then I go to the AMD website to do an autodetect/install, and they can't find it either. I've even tried doing a custom download of their 2 drivers for Notebooks, and neither one says their compatible with my graphics card. Might I have a fried card?

I followed the instructions on the Guru3D website and ran the DriverSweeper in Safe Mode and cleaned my ATI Display files, but then when I rebooted to Normal mode, it just blue screened on me. The error was something like igd????64.exe The ?'s represent letters that I don't recall.

Back
Top Bottom