Can't read 2.5 SATA HDD

Jajao555

Solid State Member
My friend's laptop (HP dv9500?) went dead I did some research these had an issue with graphics/motherboard going bad. The LCD is white and still doesn't work through another monitor. So he just wants his data.

The laptop comes with 2 186G HDDs. I have a Thermaltake hdd dock that will take both 2.5 and 3.5 HDDs over USB.

I try the #1 HDD and nothing happens Windows 7 doesn't pick it up. I try the #2 drive and Win7 sees it but there isn't anything of use on it. So I do some research and people say that Win7 has trouble reading external drives with OS on them. So I try an XP system and a Vista both do the same thing.

What else can I try or am I trying to access the drive the wrong way? Will I have to get a 2.5 cable and boot from it? If the drive is dead what other ways are there to get data off?

It shouldn't have an issue with a drive that has an OS on it; I've never gotten that issue.

I would try booting off of a Linux LiveCD and seeing if you can read the HDD's with that.

I was going to try Recuva. But will the software see if windows won't? I'll try the linux idea as well.

Thanks

I was going to try Recuva. But will the software see if windows won't? I'll try the linux idea as well.

Thanks

Does Disk Management see it?

Start > Right click Computer > Manage... > click 'Disk Management' on the left panel.

Does it show up at all there?

But usually no, if Windows doesn't see it at all, Windows software won't see it. Hence why I suggested a Linux LiveCD to see if you can read the drive at all that way.

Yeah I have found that so long as it is found in device manager, then some of the good recovery software will be able to scan it
it doesn't have to show up in my computer, so long as the system detects that a device is connected

Not looking good. #1 doesn't show up in My Computer or Device Manager but #2 shows up fine. I'll try Linux. Will my USB HDD dock work with Linux ok? If not I'll have to get a cable I guess.

I've been wanting to try Mint I think I'll do it with that distro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not looking good. #1 doesn't show up in My Computer or Device Manager but #2 shows up fine. I'll try Linux. Will my USB HDD dock work with Linux ok? If not I'll have to get a cable I guess.

I've been wanting to try Mint I think I'll do it with that distro.

You can try it with an external enclosure; might not work, but you can try.

Back
Top Bottom