Can my boss see my laptop screen?

Stevelee

Beta member
My new job provided me a laptop 6 months ago. It was NOT out of the box but was ordered refurbished. They told me I could blow away the operating system so I installed Linux and Windows side by side with most of my activity on the latter. I'm planning on switching concentrations within my field and want to take online classes. Unfortunately my personal laptop went down yesterday and can't afford another one right now. Since I deleted the original OS and installed from scratch can my employer still see that I'm taking classes online, away from company premises at my house?

If you have complete control of the laptop, not really, no. But if it is a company laptop, and they ask for you to bring it in for them to install such software, they don't have to disclose that information to you, nor do they have to let you keep using said laptop.

If you have complete control of the laptop, not really, no. But if it is a company laptop, and they ask for you to bring it in for them to install such software, they don't have to disclose that information to you, nor do they have to let you keep using said laptop.

If you ask them if they(or if they had someone else do it) installed any form of monitoring software and they say no, then thats fine, BUT if they find out what your are doing and confront you about your courses(that means they would have to monitor the laptop to find out) then they can get in trouble for breaking your rights. Thats means $$$ ( i think if you sue)

for example
i record you while we are talking on the phone, and i don't tell you i am, that's called wire tapping and its a federal offense

somebody correct me if I'm wrong

I guess it all depends upon what is stated within your IT policy, most people agree to certain terms to be able to use work computers, software accounts etc.
So it's not illegal to track what people are up to on a network, as they have agreed for this to happen.

If they have setup the OS themselves then there is no way they can be tracking it
If they have an AD account that they need to login to, then it is possible that the system may be configured by a policy to use a proxy, vpn or similar to connect to the internet and this can be used to monitor network traffic and mainly, sites that people visit.

If you installed your own versions of linux and windows, and nobody from your work place has made any setup/configuration changes, then they have no way of accessing the machine or have a list of the web sites you are visiting.
The only possible way would be if you were accessing the web site for your course via a works wifi/lan connection, then they could monitor the traffic.
But other than that I think you are safe

Does anybody know if you can access the BIOS in a pre-build? If so he could just temporarily change the boot order so he could launch linux or whatever off of a usb or cd

Back
Top Bottom