Your CPU and modern games: A guide to those building.

It takes a little searching to find a good one (and often, they come without hard drives), but I've picked them up with all but video card and hard drive for $350 - $400. Building refurbished systems takes a week or two of patience to find the best deals.

It takes a little searching to find a good one (and often, they come without hard drives), but I've picked them up with all but video card and hard drive for $350 - $400. Building refurbished systems takes a week or two of patience to find the best deals.
The problem with refurbished or used is 99% of the new posters asking for advice here don't wanna hear about it. :neutral:
I'd say about 75% of the many many parts I've had the past 10 or so years have been used but I guess if you're new to computers you don't want to take that risk.

PP Mguire, I read every single word on this Thread, and I'd just like to thank-you very very much. Without trying to sound too homosexual, you're a Fantastic superb man. In 3 days I've gone From complete dumb-ass to averagely un-smart. My knowledge is still small and limited, yet it's a huge step in my books. Your will to help and inspire people about how amazing Technology really is is awesome, and if it were physically possible, I'd hug you through the screen.

Last edited:
PP Mguire, I read every single word on this Thread, and I'd just like to thank-you very very much. Without trying to sound too homosexual, you're a Fantastic superb man. In 3 days I've gone From complete dumb-ass to averagely un-smart. My knowledge is still small and limited, yet it's a huge step in my books. Your will to help and inspire people about how amazing Technology really is is awesome, and if it were physically possible, I'd hug you through the screen.
Well after what happened before I take that as a high complement. If I had more resources to do what I actually wanted to do with this thread I would have, but unfortunately I don't have a ton of money to blow on a long list of CPUs to test against each other for the soul purpose of gaming. If I could add any CPU to this list it would for sure be that Pentium G2120. Matter a fact, since it's so cheap I will probably buy one.

Well after what happened before I take that as a high complement. If I had more resources to do what I actually wanted to do with this thread I would have, but unfortunately I don't have a ton of money to blow on a long list of CPUs to test against each other for the soul purpose of gaming. If I could add any CPU to this list it would for sure be that Pentium G2120. Matter a fact, since it's so cheap I will probably buy one.
Well, it was mean't as a high compliment so I'd be offended if you didn't take it any other way hehe. Forget about what happened before though, I have, I'm hoping everybody else can too. Likewise with me, I'd love to be able to help people and give the advice that you give to people, an old Friend of mine asked me For advice on pretty much what I've been asking you, he was a lovely kiddo but didn't really have many Friends, so me not really knowing and neither of us knowing where to turn to, I went ahead and told him what components to buy simply going by what was most expensive, he ended up spending something like £860 and his rig was total rubbish, I ended up splitting the bill half with him because I Felt so guilty. If you don't mind me asking, where did you learn your vast knowledge of computing and Tech? I'd love to be able to know all this information about how computers work and different to be able to compare different parts and put together a rig of my own instead of having to essentially annoy the crap out of someone because I don't understand anything their saying /: If you want to, and to back your knowledge up then of course by all means test the Pentium G2120 out, however if it's just For me as that's the CPU I may or may not be getting then you really don't have to. Being honest I was going to go with the Pentium CPU, however I think I remember you or someone else saying that the only other worthwhile CPU upgrade and if I wanted a dramatic change in CPU performance would be to step up a Quad Core, hence why I/We chose the Intel i5.
P.S I am sorry if I seem to annoy your pants off with all my long-arsed questions.
However if I don't try learn I'll never know, and if I am I don't mean to be annoying, just making sure that I'm not going to regret anything about wishing I upgraded or downgraded etc. But yeah, many thanks to you, and also to Stewie who've been posting on my Thread.

Last edited:
This is going to be extremely cliche but experience. I want to say my dad, but really I learned most myself by trial and error, and exploring, research, saying "**** it, lets try it", ect.

I started my computer experience with a Commodore 64 and after that my dad allowed me to play on his PC which was a 386 based DOS 6 machine. I was 7 years old. In 99 when we moved and got a bigger house I got my first desk which confused me because all I had at the time was NES/SNES/N64/PS1. Turned out I got my first PC which was a Pentium 1 based machine with Windows 95. My dad looked at me and said, have fun, you wont break it. Took me a while to grasp the concept but wasn't really interested in computers until around 2002. I'll take the time to mention my dad had a degree in electronics engineering, was an electronics/audio/car nut, and had been playing with computers since they had tubes in them. I discovered the internet kind of "late" for that period only because we didn't have a home phone or dial up. By using the internet at school I discovered through it and my dads friend how to hack WEP and all about wifi and long range signals and antennas. Consequently I found some poor soul in our area with a WEP router and Direcway (now Hughes satellite internet). That is when I started getting into PCs. I "acquired" XP Pro and went to town. It's history from there. Just a ton of experience as I had no real friends so all I did was sit there and mess with things. Even today I'm always experimenting with things. Whether it be with new OC settings or trying to discover new things to do to my 98 box. I like to play with old and new hardware to pass the time while watching my son. Because of all this I'm a reviewer on another website and I think I might be taking over a co-workers tech article. That may or may not happen.
It also helps that my uncle is also into tech but not to the extreme that I am. Though I did get quite a few good video cards from him over the years. Voodoo 2 SLI, Voodoo 5 5500, Geforce 2 Ultra, Geforce 3 TI500, Geforce 4 TI4400, Geforce FX 5600Ultra. Just recently he gave me a huge box of stuff (like, 4 months ago) that had a random Q8200 and 2 Gigabyte 775 boards in it.

It also helps that I stay up to date on the latest tech, memorize benchmark numbers, and try to have a list in my head of what is better than what with what price.

This is going to be extremely cliche but experience. I want to say my dad, but really I learned most myself by trial and error, and exploring, research, saying "**** it, lets try it", ect.

I started my computer experience with a Commodore 64 and after that my dad allowed me to play on his PC which was a 386 based DOS 6 machine. I was 7 years old. In 99 when we moved and got a bigger house I got my first desk which confused me because all I had at the time was NES/SNES/N64/PS1. Turned out I got my first PC which was a Pentium 1 based machine with Windows 95. My dad looked at me and said, have fun, you wont break it. Took me a while to grasp the concept but wasn't really interested in computers until around 2002. I'll take the time to mention my dad had a degree in electronics engineering, was an electronics/audio/car nut, and had been playing with computers since they had tubes in them. I discovered the internet kind of "late" for that period only because we didn't have a home phone or dial up. By using the internet at school I discovered through it and my dads friend how to hack WEP and all about wifi and long range signals and antennas. Consequently I found some poor soul in our area with a WEP router and Direcway (now Hughes satellite internet). That is when I started getting into PCs. I "acquired" XP Pro and went to town. It's history from there. Just a ton of experience as I had no real friends so all I did was sit there and mess with things. Even today I'm always experimenting with things. Whether it be with new OC settings or trying to discover new things to do to my 98 box. I like to play with old and new hardware to pass the time while watching my son. Because of all this I'm a reviewer on another website and I think I might be taking over a co-workers tech article. That may or may not happen.
It also helps that my uncle is also into tech but not to the extreme that I am. Though I did get quite a few good video cards from him over the years. Voodoo 2 SLI, Voodoo 5 5500, Geforce 2 Ultra, Geforce 3 TI500, Geforce 4 TI4400, Geforce FX 5600Ultra. Just recently he gave me a huge box of stuff (like, 4 months ago) that had a random Q8200 and 2 Gigabyte 775 boards in it.

It also helps that I stay up to date on the latest tech, memorize benchmark numbers, and try to have a list in my head of what is better than what with what price.

speak of the devil, i was planning on hacking my neighbors internet... her signal is stronger than ours which is sad.... i am an honest person and dont really want to steal, but just yesterday that my stepdads friend gave me a comp, but the screen was broken and my stepdad was cheap and didnt think it was smart to buy a new monitor ( btw this was around 6 years ago when i was 10) so we gave MY computer to our neighbor(her), she doesn;t use it anymore but that slightly makes me feels less guilty, I was thinking maybe I could randomly every month leave some money in her mailbox, maybe like 10 bucks.
I come from a financially weak family so i understand money is tough, also with a now disabled and out of work stepdad it stinks, also my mom has to take care of him. today they just signed loan where they dont have to pay 1100 a month mortgage all he has to pay now is around 600.

anyway i read that i need to buy some special usb broadcaster for around 15 bucks to try it, can you message me a link to a website you know has good instruction? maybe pick the best result on google for me?

125KB/S when fastest speed we pay for, divide that by 3 people useing it...

Back
Top Bottom