wifi connection very slow.

patonb

Golden Master
Okay, since switching from 8 to win 7, my internet has become laggy while gaming, and speedtest.net is 1/10 of what it was or should be.

My desktop d/ls from speedtest at 22-25mbps, my laptop, at a solid 54mbps connection to the router only gets 2-5mbps.
I've restricted it to G connection, as N was bouncing alot between 32 and 140mpbs connection to the router, and forcing G settles outy my game lag.

Drivers are up todate according to intel, I rebooted my router, and as I said my wired desktop is running just fine, and it seems to be the switch to win 7 from 8.

Anyone got any ideas on trouble shooting whats up?

connect it via ethernet and see if the speedtests are better.
this can help see if it is an OS issue or a wifi issue.

If you have a USB wifi card that is windows 8 compatible you could try that and see if you get the same results.

While not going to help, but still something to take on board.
We have had a few people with windows 8 laptops at work who have been having issues connecting to wireless networks, and have encountered performance issues.
This is on various different wifi networks, and with different manufacturers of laptop and wifi cards.
While we do like the new detection and self configuration features, we are not impressed with the performance some users have been encountering, and have had to do a few tests on out various wifi networks to try and recreate these problems and hopefully find our own fixes.

I have a feeling both Microsoft and hardware manufacturers are encountering teething problems with the different way wifi works on 8, and I would expect a few more OS fixes and driver release to be made over the next few months.

what games are you playing?
it is possible that your concern is "ping"
just my wild guess, might be the server is too far? so the latency is higher? correct me if im wrong :)

connect it via ethernet and see if the speedtests are better.
this can help see if it is an OS issue or a wifi issue.

If you have a USB wifi card that is windows 8 compatible you could try that and see if you get the same results.

I have a feeling both Microsoft and hardware manufacturers are encountering teething problems with the different way wifi works on 8, and I would expect a few more OS fixes and driver release to be made over the next few months.

Actually, I had no issues with 8, though I never did get N connections, going to 7 is where I'm experiencing issues.

what games are you playing?
it is possible that your concern is "ping"
just my wild guess, might be the server is too far? so the latency is higher? correct me if im wrong :)

Games World of Tanks, and my issue with it, my ping s up generally 10-20, but routinely spikes now to over 300.

SPEEDTEST.NET IS MY BIGGEST difference with my d/l being hacked considerably, from 22 down to 3Mbps.

your ping from speedtest will be accurate.
but when you see your ping in online games, it should be change.
your isp host ---> to online server host.

it is based on my experience, coz i tried playing playing games in UK and im from PH.

Back
Top Bottom