Budget Gaming PC Build?

ItzParcoo

Beta member
Can anyone give me some advice and feedback on this build I'm planning to do, I'm on a budget and from Australia so the prices of suggested parts might be different..
CPU : Intel i5 3470
GPU : Asus Radeon HD 7770
MB : Asus P8B75-M-LX
RAM : G.Skill X-F3 8GB DDR3
HDD : SeaGate Barracuda 500GB
Case : CoolerMaster Elite 431 with 500W PSU
I'm planning to get a good CPU to start, then I'll upgrade the GPU later on as its much easier than upgrading a CPU..
That totals around $620 AU..

What PSU comes with that case?

If you want a gaming build them you have that backwards. You want to get a better GPU now then upgrade the CPU later when they will be cheaper. Unless you mean years from now. Then you'll want to upgrade the whole thing anyways.

Fair enough, but I'm just concerned with a few games I'm playing as they apparently depend on CPU more so than GPU.. and the PSU is included with the CoolerMaster case, so I'm assuming its a CoolerMaster PSU..

I'm going to guess it's a bundle by the Aus place you're purchasing from because the 431 on Newegg doesn't come with a PSU. Probably a very low quality one at that, which I wouldn't trust too much. The only CM PSUs that are of any value are their bigger 1200 Pros and such.

Which games? They probably depend on the CPU less than you think.

The website I'm purchasing my parts from is PC Case Gear, and I realise bundled PSUs are usually of low quality but I thought this one would be passable as CoolerMaster is a pretty reliable brand..

Some games I heard a pretty CPU heavy include this MMOFPS game called Planetside 2, and maybe Battlefield 3 as well, but I'm not too sure..

The website I'm purchasing my parts from is PC Case Gear, and I realise bundled PSUs are usually of low quality but I thought this one would be passable as CoolerMaster is a pretty reliable brand..

Some games I heard a pretty CPU heavy include this MMOFPS game called Planetside 2, and maybe Battlefield 3 as well, but I'm not too sure..

those games want a giant gpu, not cpu. i mean, it all helps, but not as much as youve apparently heard.
+1 and this. I show BF3 running fine on a 6000+ and from what "some" have said here Planetside 2 takes a lot of RAM but I don't believe that as my 2TB list of games has yet to show me RAM usage over 2.5GB for the game alone.

Cooler Master's only good PSUs are their really high end ones. The rest I wouldn't trust even in my fiance's rig honestly. If it means getting a better GPU or something on your budget then fine, but I would be very careful not to stress it too hard.

+1 and this. I show BF3 running fine on a 6000+ and from what "some" have said here Planetside 2 takes a lot of RAM but I don't believe that as my 2TB list of games has yet to show me RAM usage over 2.5GB for the game alone.

Cooler Master's only good PSUs are their really high end ones. The rest I wouldn't trust even in my fiance's rig honestly. If it means getting a better GPU or something on your budget then fine, but I would be very careful not to stress it too hard.

your heavily moded skyrim is an exception right? I figured it has a high Ram usage that you always talk about, hmm, you must have been talking vram?

OP most games are GPU heavy, especially the games you listed, here is a link to a very good post PP Mguire made about your CPU and games

your heavily moded skyrim is an exception right? I figured it has a high Ram usage that you always talk about, hmm, you must have been talking vram?

OP most games are GPU heavy, especially the games you listed, here is a link to a very good post PP Mguire made about your CPU and games
Skyrim is both. Out of all the games I have my modded version of Skyrim uses at best 2.5GB of system RAM, and completely maxes my 1.5GB VRAM no matter what. That being said, it isn't so much CPU dependent as it is GHz dependent. It is one of the last few games that get a marginal raise in FPS when you jump real high like 3.3 to 4.5. Other games made a very low difference around 1 or 2FPS. Still, Skyrim as a whole gets better frame rates with a better GPU or higher GPU clock than it would with a faster CPU be it quad or dual.

I could slap my 580 in the 6000+ setup and it would run vanilla Skyrim like it was nothing.

Back
Top Bottom