Your opinion on these 3 external HDDs

my criteria for a external hdd is:

usb 3.0
7200 rpm

as long as it meets those i just look for the cheapest one in the size that im looking for. i have a WD 3tb, ive had it for a few years, never had a problem. have all the critical stuff backed up on another 1tb drive.

they should work on xp no problem. i assume you are running xp on an old school rig, that doesnt support usb 3.0... but i would still get a 3.0 drive because when you get a new rig that does support usb 3.0, youll be all set.

Thanks for the reply Sean.
I would be purchasing the drive in Thailand - most probably WD

The Seagate external drives come with an external adapter - one can buy a thunderbolt adapter (when they go mainstream) & get mind boggling speed from older drives also. The same may be possible for WD external drives, but only after crack opening the casing (which i do not like to be) & plugging the SATA ports directly into the Seagate adapter.
http://www.techist.com/forums/members/sean-w-/

You aren't going to get mind boggling speeds out of a HDD. The Thunderbolt bus has a lot of bandwidth but standard HDDs don't even cap a SATA2 bus which is slower than USB 3.

You aren't going to get mind boggling speeds out of a HDD. The Thunderbolt bus has a lot of bandwidth but standard HDDs don't even cap a SATA2 bus which is slower than USB 3.

Thanks PP, for possibly correcting me, but you need to give more stuff to read & understand your point.

if i understand correctly, you are saying that, if i buy a 3TB SATA III EHDD, i will not get 500-600 MB/s ( actually 477-572 MiB/s ) while transferring say a 4GB file to my computer (1TB SATA III HDD) via Thunderbolt (assuming both HDDs are >50% empty & defragmented)

I am assuming that you have a point (i read your explanation & the stuff to read about the micro-stuttering of Radeon7xxx Vs. Nvidia660Ti) - but i just need to know/read more about it.

ps.
I didn't had time to explain that by mind boggling speed i meant 500-600 MB/s, since i was getting late for the trip. BTW, Seagate 3TB is unavailable & WD 3TB is available at ฿4500 from WD retail store & at ฿4460 from J.I.B (a computer parts seller WD collaborated with) at Panthip Plaza, Bangkok.

Theoretical speeds only (not common in practical cases):
SATA 3 (SATA-600) - 6000 Mbit/s or 600 MB/s
USB 3.0 ---------- 5 Gbit/s or 625 MB/s
Thunderbolt ------ 10 Gbit/s × 2 or 1,250 MB/s × 2

( 1 Gbit/s = 1,000,000,000 bit/s )
( 1 Mbit/s = 1,000,000 bit/s )
( 1 MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s )

This is going to come off as rude, but bear with me because I haven't had my morning coffee yet. I already explained why but I'll go into detail.

Pretty much all consumer mechanical HDDs cap out around 150MB/s burst speed, and settle between 80MB-120MB/s sustained file transfer speed no matter the brand or model. This is why I say, they don't even cap the SATA2 bus bandwidth which has a theoretical limit of 300MB/s. This is why SSDs are so popular because they are the only devices capable of sustaining well over 300MB/s on file transfer. As you can see, not even close to SATA3, USB3, or Thunderbolt theoretical bandwidth limits. In other words, a USB2 casing is barely capping the actual limits of a mechanical HDD speed.

Also for more clarification USB3 is getting updated soon to be 10Gb/s. Which is 1280 MB/s and 5Gb/s is 640MB/s.

understood; researched a little on tomsharware & now feel enlightened :D:D
it's good to know the details ;)
regards

ps.
the visit to tomsharware also made it clear that Seagate Barracuda (3TB, 7200rpm) performs well in most of the tests.

Back
Top Bottom