Building A Gaming Computer

Also note: Cases, like the Raidmax Aeolus, already have a 500W power supply and great cooling for $79.99. There is also something to be said for buying say an i5 (Ivy Bridge) with a GTX560 and 1866MHz ram (9-9-9-11). All can be done for around $600 or so with a decent Solid State (120Gb), and this will perform most games very well on highest settings (if one doesn't like AMD).

Also note: Cases, like the Raidmax Aeolus, already have a 500W power supply and great cooling for $79.99. There is also something to be said for buying say an i5 (Ivy Bridge) with a GTX560 and 1866MHz ram (9-9-9-11). All can be done for around $600 or so with a decent Solid State (120Gb), and this will perform most games very well on highest settings (if one doesn't like AMD).
According to this, it's 59 and they don't offer a PSU.
Newegg.com - RAIDMAX AEOLUS ATX-818WB Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I wouldn't trust ANY PSU that comes with a case unless it's something like the little Silverstone Sugo cases.

Cheapest i5 Ivy is 189, and the cheapest 560 is 169. That combination with an SSD wont get you around a budget of 600 bucks unless you skimp heavily on the PSU, RAM, and don't include an OS. In a gaming setup you would be better off with a better GPU anyways, albeit within budget.

Sure it does. Motherboards that are good enough for gaming cost $59-$89 (Gigabyte and MSI), and the case (w/500W) is $89.99 at Fry's. The Ram can be bought from OutletPC.com - Online Computer Store - Parts, Desktops, Laptops for cheap (8Gb), as can the SSD (SATA III).

MSI boards are great, because XFX is actually MSI with a different label and a few add-ons. Additionally, most programs are free (i.e. Open Office, Avast, Spybot, Malware Bytes, VLC, DivX, TorrentB, and others), and working Win 7 Keys can be purchased for $30-$40 online (just Dogpile.com it).

I build systems regularly, and this is the method I use (and I don't have customer complaints - my systems run beautifully). Just some advice for beginner builders.

Sure it does. Motherboards that are good enough for gaming cost $59-$89 (Gigabyte and MSI), and the case (w/500W) is $89.99 at Fry's. The Ram can be bought from OutletPC.com - Online Computer Store - Parts, Desktops, Laptops for cheap (8Gb), as can the SSD (SATA III).

MSI boards are great, because XFX is actually MSI with a different label and a few add-ons. Additionally, most programs are free (i.e. Open Office, Avast, Spybot, Malware Bytes, VLC, DivX, TorrentB, and others), and working Win 7 Keys can be purchased for $30-$40 online (just Dogpile.com it).

I build systems regularly, and this is the method I use (and I don't have customer complaints - my systems run beautifully). Just some advice for beginner builders.
Like I said, skimping heavily.

The B75 board I linked is one of the cheapest at 54 bucks, and XFX is not MSI. XFX's parent company is Pine Technology Limited which can be found on their Wiki. Micro-Star International is a lone company who produce products out of Taiwan as XFX is based in the US.
That is like saying ASRock is the baby company to Asus when they aren't anymore.

THere is absolutely no way I would ever recommend a generic value PSU that comes with a case to anybody on these forums. My reputation here precedes me as recommending quality product, keeping within the asking budget, while also not recommending ridiculous things that just aren't needed. The #1 quality thing you want in a PC is the PSU, and I (as a bunch of others) can't stress that enough. If you build your customers cheap PCs with those cheap PSUs then more power to you if you're successful. I wont do such a thing, as I don't want to see people coming back complaining how their PSU failed within 6 weeks or simply blew up and took out a few components at the same time. I recommend a cheap case on very budget aimed PCs (typically the Gigabyte mid tower at 29 bucks) and usually the TX650 or CX500, sometimes the Seasonic 520.

As to the SSD, I try to keep them at 64GB or above, and make sure they are reliable because people can be dumb with them. If the budget doesn't meet this criteria I'll ignore the SSD and go with a fast HDD like a WD Black, or Barracuda XT.

I also try to keep all product from one site so it's easier on the person building to keep track. If they want to get cheaper product and cheaper prices they can head over to pcpartpicker.com to find the deals. I personally do not do that, it's up to them.

Back
Top Bottom