HD/SSD BIOS Problem

HeyItsRon

Solid State Member
I recently bought a new SSD from Newegg. I bought the SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120KW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)-->link Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120KW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I disconnected my hard drive and only connected the SSD. I then installed Windows 7 onto the SSD and ensured ACHI was enabled. I then reconnected my HD and went into the BIOS to make sure the boot order was correct. Here comes the problem, only my HD and my CD rom were showing, I could go into the advanced settings and make my SSD boot first, but it still never showed that three devices were connected (SSD, HD, CD/DVD drive). I was curious on how I can go about fixing this and what I did wrong (easier said than done).

My other concern is that I am not sure if the SSD needs to be connected to the Serial ATA 3.0GB/S SATA3G connector or the Serial ATA 6.0 GB/S SATA6G connector. I am not sure if that would make a difference in why only two devices show up in the BIOS, but once Windows has loaded the three devices are there.

I apologize for the big block of text and the numerous problems that have arisen at once. Just one of those things where I should be able to figure it out, but can't and am now frustrated by it.:mad: Any assistance is greatly appreciated.:)

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120KW 2.5" 120GB SATA III (recent purchase)
HD: Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint 5 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
PSU: Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-750 750W
Graphics: EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
MB: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

My other concern is that I am not sure if the SSD needs to be connected to the Serial ATA 3.0GB/S SATA3G connector or the Serial ATA 6.0 GB/S SATA6G connector. I am not sure if that would make a difference in why only two devices show up in the BIOS, but once Windows has loaded the three devices are there

From the NewEgg page: "has a SATA 6b/s interface that is also backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s and SATA 1.5 Gb/s.". So you should plug it into the 6.0 GB/s connector. :)

The other stuff I can't really help with, sorry.

Was the mechanical HD your previous boot drive? If so, then it sounds to me like you've got two C: drives, which obviously isn't going to work regardless of how the boot order is set.

It was for my old OS but I disconnected and connected the SSD for my new OS. Once I plugged in my HD, I immediately went into the BIOS and it only showed two devices. Though I could choose whether or not I wanted it to be my HD or my SSD. When I choose the SSD and load Windows, it shows my HD as drive F

If you went into disk management and your SSD is the only active partition and the old drive has a different drive letter then you should be fine. Do you still have the OS on the old drive?

No, the old OS is no longer on my mechanical hard drive. I formatted it yesterday and removed the partition. The only things that show up now when I go into Disk Management are the following:

C: Drive, which is my SSD
F: Drive, which is my mechanical HD
System Reserved

If that is how it should be, then I guess I am okay. I was thinking that maybe the BIOS for my MOBO only allows two options for boot order, hence only two devices are shown. Like I said, once Windows loads up, it shows all the devices, I just thought it was weird that only two were showing up in the BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom