Computer Randomly Restarting

Thranton

Solid State Member
Hello Everyone. I have a terrible situation on my hand and I cannot for the life of me fix it. My problem here is that my computer is randomly restarting on it's own and the monitor isn't coming back to life.. I had this issue before when I had two GPU's installed, and the fix was to take one out and run just one. At first it seemed to fix it but I was wrong.

Back when I had my two GPU's in, it wouldn't shut down if just browsing the internet, after 3-4 games of LoL it'd shut down, or after 10 minutes of WoW it'd shut down. I took it to my local computer store to get it looked at and for the life of me I couldn't replicate the shut down. Even after stressing out the CPU, Ram, and GPU's all to 100%. I was also able to play WoW for a good hour until I decided to just go home. When I got home though it was the exact same problem, 10 minutes and bam shut down. I removed the GTX 570 from my motherboard, and I was able to play WoW the rest of the night no problems (this was last night).

I turned my computer on this morning to download something and it's been running for awhile, and I played a few games of LoL, streamed a 2 episodes of Anger managment. I went to go fill out my passport and BOOM it just restarted on me. I am unable to get video onto my monitor after it's been restarted unless I turn it off then back on.

My Specs are:
GTX 680
8GB Ram
I5 2500 (I beleive)
Asus Mother board P8H5-V or something like that
240GB SSD, 1T HDD
750W PSU Coolermaster Bronze

I am running 1080P on a 40" LED Samsung TV, along with Logitech Speakers..

P.S When my comp restarts nothing else turns off, or restarts, all I am getting is Kernal-Power in event viewer saying an Unexpected shut down has occurred.

PLEASE I really need help here. This is starting to really annoy me.

PSU tested fine.

As well as if that's the case why does it crash at my place and not at the shop?? Whenever I played WoW at my place it was gaurentee it'd crash in 10 minutes.. At the shop I played it for an hour no crash, and before that Heavens plus a bunch of other stress testing programs were ran for the day.. No crashes, but at home it's a different story.

I tried changing the outlet, I've tried connecting my TV, Computer, Speakers all to different outlets yet still crashing :(

The electricity at your place might have high/low spikes,surges or ripples which your psu can't compensate for thus causing a restart.

The electricity at the computer shop might have had better surge protection or more stable power going into the building.

Ya but you see, I had no issues at all with just the 570 in there for a good year.. I guess I could go and buy a better surge protector but iuno if that's the issue or not.

Just for clarification, when the reboot happens, do you have to toggle the power on the monitor in order to get a video signal, or are you forced to shut down the tower and then power back up?

I believe Brinks is on the correct track with an electrical fluctuation problem. Can you explain your wiring situation with more detail (where is each component plugged in to [outlet, surge protector, power strip, UPS etc] and if any other component is sharing usage). If possible, try plugging a small alarm clock into the same outlet as the computer, whether or not the clock resets can help determine where the fault lies.

Hope to hear back, and best of luck with your problem in the meantime mate. - Rube

When the reboot happens, I need to shut my tower down.. I have tried replugging in the video cord from comp to TV, and tried just hitting the reset button. I need to hard reset my computer for it to turn back on.

My wiring is usually set up with the TV, Computer, Speakers all on one surge protector. But with these recent problems I have moved my computer to a different outlet but kept the TV/Speakers on the same one (since there is no problem with them). My TV would act like the alarm clock because the entire outlet was loosing power for a split secodn my TV would turn off, not just lose video.

The house is a newer build, with being built in 2008 I believe (or later). I didn't have this issue without the new installs (SSD, Windows 8, GTX 680, with the GTX 570 being out).

If my house was having low/high spikes it should have occurred with my old setup not when I installed everything (Remember I played with old setup the same day as new setup)..

Is this the old setup that you had before the upgrade? And also, your saying that you had no problems with it, correct?

Windows ???
GTX 570
8GB Ram
I5 2500
Asus Mother board P8H5-V
1T HDD, (I'm assuming your OS was installed on this drive)
750W PSU Coolermaster Bronze

Now here is a few questions? (This is about your upgraded system)
1) Are you having any heat issues?
2) With just the gtx 570 installed, does the computer restart?
3) With just the gtx 680 installed, does the computer restart?
4) Try the graphics card one at a time in the other pci-e slots, does the computer restart?

Next test your ram with memtest86 to see if their are any errors on the ram.
Next restore your bios to default settings.

If the restarts still occur with the above tested, then it looks like their might be something wrong with the Windows install, drivers, or your SSD.

This next part is gonna be a pain to do.
1) Clean old drivers, install updated ones.
2) If problem still occurs, try reinstalling windows 8 on the SSD.
3) If problem still occurs, try reinstalling old version of windows.
4) If problem still occurs, unplug your SSD, now install your windows onto a different hard drive.

If problem still occurs, all I can think of is it's either a bad motherboard or psu now.

EDIT: Were you also hooked up to the 40" LED Samsung TV on your old setup?

Last edited:
Old setup was had Windows 7 on it..

Answers to your questions
1) No, heat it not an issue unless my sensors are crap, but from what I can tell no. I've taken the case off shut it down, and stuck my hand inside, and it wasn't warm.
2) With just the GTX 570 installed I didn't notice any restarts but with just the 680 installed it didn't restart until it being left on for a day or so. It'd take awhile for me to test if the GTX 570 would restart.
3) Look at 2 :)
4) Yes I have tried the graphics cards on the different slots but still a restart.

They tested my ram and said that all was good, I'm assuming they ran memtest (took about 4 hours to check both cards). Bios were restored back to original, then again I never touched the bios upgrades because it's done more harm then good in the past.

All drivers have been updated.
Windows 8 on the SSD and HDD were both fresh installs, on fresh SSD and a formatted HDD.
I lost my copy of Windows 7, that's why the upgrade to windows 8.
We tried unplugging the SSD at the shop and booted to the HDD, everything was fine there until I brought her home, then it crashed.

I have been leaning towards my motherboard being shot, but that doesn't explain why it works at the shop perfectly fine, and not at my house. Almost thinking it's PSU..

and Yes my old setup I was connected to the TV, but it was connected with a mini HDMI - HDMI connector. Not the HDMI - HDMI connection I have now.

Ok, guess your best option now is to just run with only the gtx 570 and see if it restarts.

Back
Top Bottom