6 gigs of ram enough?

wonderings

Baseband Member
I know for work, I do not like anything under 8 gigs of ram, and even that has jumped to 16 gigs as minimum (Adobe CS). For gaming, I am not so sure how much a game can actually use. I currently have 6 gigs in my xps8300 and not sure if its worth upgrading to 8 or even 16 gigs of ram, and if it will make much a difference in performance. This is running Win 7 64bit

What chipset is your xps?

x59, aka 1366 i7s need sets of 3, so 6 or 9 is max needed.

Most people don't use 4Gigg.

My i7 is running 6Gig, but only uses .Gigs usually, and thats with an FEA modeling software running.

So 6 or 8 is my "enough" point.

It is an i7, not sure what version of the i7 it is.

Currently it is 1333mhz DDR3 ram, can I different ram, like faster? Or do I need to stick with this 1333? Or would it not really make a difference?

Not really. You wont need more RAM until the console ports from the newer consoles start flooding the market. Wont be until maybe a year after the new Xbox and Playstation come out.

If you have the money to blow it obviously wont hurt, but not necessary. If you have 3 sticks you'll need a triple channel kit to retain triple channel, even though that also isn't necessary.

If you want more performance from your pc, get an SSD drive

I was thinking of looking into that, though not sure I want to go through the hole instal process of windows with drivers and the rest. Would an SSD really make that much of a difference in game play? I know things boot faster and such (Have a Retina MacBook Pro with flash drive), but once things are loaded it would be the same, no?

An SSD doesn't change FPS or gameplay. An SSD makes general usage of your PC much snappier and the added effect of boot and load times being much quicker. If you play Skyrim or BF3 then it helps a lot in the form that you aren't sitting there waiting for a while. I'm generally in a BF3 map within 5 seconds or so.

Back
Top Bottom