Computer won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synapsis

Beta member
I'm building a computer for my parents for christmas to upgrade their archaeic thing they call a computer and i put everything together and it won't start up. Everything is connected right to my knowledge and i think it could be a bad mobo. Its technically my first build although i replaced nearly everything when i customized mine, so i'm not completely ignorant. I thought it might be the PSU so i swapped out the 420 watt psu that came with my old computer that worked fine with the 350 watt psu that came with the case... same results- An interesting note both PSU's make a high pitched hum when the switch is turned on and the cable is connected. No juice tho. I have reseated the cpu twice, all the pins are straight- its my old cpu from my computer that i upgraded and it worked fine the day i took it out. I have checked all the cables to make sure they are secure, and the PSU is set to the proper voltage on the back. I'm stumped- i ordered all parts from newegg and the packaging was fine- no dents and everything was brand new. I removed the soundcard-and left everything essential connected and tried powering up but still nothing. Does anyone have any ideas on what i could do or what i havn't tried?

-Syn

Why dont you put all your specs so we might better be able to help.Did you put the motherboard in a new case.If so try to take it out with everything still on the mobo and lay it on some static wrap without the drives hooked up and see if it powers up.It could be grounding out on the case.

Specs are

P4v8x-x mobo
80gig Wd HD
intel 2.4 533 bus CPU
350w rosewill PSU
Kingston valuram pc3200 512 meg
geforce 5200
SB audigy card
sony DVDrom
sony floppy drive

i guess that's about it i might be forgetting something

I did install the mobo in a new case and i hadn't thought that it might be grounding on the case. I guess i can give that a shot first thing tomarrow.

Problem solved. sure enough splatoid you were right- there was grounding somewhere with the mobo, when i placed static free material under the mobo it booted up fine. Now i just need to figure out where the grounding occured and maybe use Plastic screws or grommits? Thanks for your insite you saved me an RMA to newegg and hours of fruitless trouble shooting. If nobody has told you lately... YOu rock

-Syn

When you screw it back down you need little washers with all the screws.Glad it worked out .

make sure your MoBo standoffs are not to short and you dont have 1 where its not supposed to be .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom