£967 computer, can I still save some money but not lose too much?

headlesslouis

Solid State Member
I'm back again, and after some help looking for some parts, here's what I've come up with, is there any other way I can save money? Maybe on the monitor perhaps?

Bitfenix Shinobi -£45
HIS Radeon HD ICEQ BOOST 7950 - £237
i5 3570k -£163
ASRock Z77 Pro 4 -£82
SSD320 256GB - £155
Samsung Green RAM 8gb £36.98
Corsair TX650M 650W Modular - £71
Samsung 19 inch LS19A200NWT/EN - £80
Samsung 24x SATA DVD writer- £10
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo - £26
Windows 7 Home edition - £59

-£964

Thanks a bunch! :)

Hi there :)

Umm, In my opinion you're paying too much for a lot of those parts, where are you buying them?

Also with the ram don't buy the Samsung Green, go for some G.Skill or something.

This computer could be built with only about £800.
You just have to look online or something.
If you want I could look around for you?

I'm quite confident with the RAM as I hear it overclocks well, but I didn't realize I was paying so much, I used Skinflint.com to find price comparisons and these were the cheapest I could find them, by all means if you could find them cheaper please if you could that would be a great help!

Though I'm not sure whether the costs might be so high due to where I am, I've also heard that brits get royally screwed over when it comes to the cost of computer parts.

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't think it would get much cheaper than this, thanks anyway guys, plus there's no harm in overclocking to 2200mhz from 1600mhz :)

And I want it to game on. But I'd like to have it fast enough for the future because it'll be many a year until I'm able to upgrade once I've bought this :)

There is actually harm in OCing from 1600 to 2200. For one, it would require to heavily over volt the RAM which anything above 1.65v will damage the IMC in the CPU. For two, don't expect them to go that high. I have a 125 dollar set of Patriot RAM that can't even do 1866 let alone anything higher. Three, there is no gain to anything past 1600. Period. I have 1600, 1866, and 2133 in dual and quad channel flavor here. None of them have any gains in real world performance, especially gaming.

An IB quad core will last you 3-5 years easy based on how gaming is going these days. 90% GPU bound on 99% of all games on the market. Keep checking back here for my demonstration on the difference between a 6000+ and a 580 and an i5 with a 580. So far, there isn't much difference.
That being said, you could drop your 3570k to a 3330 to save some cash and grab a better GPU. I highly recommend the 660ti over the 7950 based on drivers alone. They are seriously that much better. If you plan on gaming at 1440x900 for a long time then a 3330 and 660ti would last you about 5 years give or take with the way console ports are going lately. Other than that the only thing you could really shave on is getting the TX650 instead of the m.

I'll most likely still be getting this ram, everywhere else I've looked it's been reccomended against ripjaws RAM and the like.

Back
Top Bottom