How to Unlock AMD Phenom II X4 on ASUS M4A87TD Mobo?

Uikri

Beta member
Last edited:
Unlocking means you are unlocking the "locked" cores that are disabled by the factory. If you already have a Phenom X4 then the odds of being able to unlock are slimmer than none. First you will need to have a Phenom 2 X4 960t to unlock the extra 2 cores but the CPU can be real unstable if you do this and will cause a lot of crashing without a ton of extra voltage to try and stabilize it. The other CPU you can unlock is the Phenom 2 X2 555BE which will unlock to the 955 but again, same thing. It's no guaranteed thing and is really only meant for very advanced users.

Unlocking as opposed to overclocking wont really grant you extra performance. If you already have an X4 then you wont get any extra FPS and overclocking wont help that much either.

Unlocking means you are unlocking the "locked" cores that are disabled by the factory. If you already have a Phenom X4 then the odds of being able to unlock are slimmer than none. First you will need to have a Phenom 2 X4 960t to unlock the extra 2 cores but the CPU can be real unstable if you do this and will cause a lot of crashing without a ton of extra voltage to try and stabilize it. The other CPU you can unlock is the Phenom 2 X2 555BE which will unlock to the 955 but again, same thing. It's no guaranteed thing and is really only meant for very advanced users.

Unlocking as opposed to overclocking wont really grant you extra performance. If you already have an X4 then you wont get any extra FPS and overclocking wont help that much either.

I play Arma 2 alot, and its mainly a CPU game, I overclocked my AMD X4 965 to a stable 4GHZ and I only got 2 fps more in the In game benchmark, I think more than likely its this games fault why I didn't get better results seeing as its known for its un-optomization. Good thing arma 3 can run better on my rig than arma 2! (its not out yet, but they said it utilizes the gpu more, they said the 560 would be a good card for good graphics...

EDIT: I just want to add that you wont see any performance difference like PP said, also you shouldn't overclock your comp without an aftermarket cooler, especially in a pre build

Last edited:
Farcry 3 is the most CPU utilizing game that I've seen to date and dropping from hex to quad or 4.2 to 3.3 made no difference. Odds have it if you already have a quad overclocking or upgrading wont grant any performance and if it does you are pretty much only relieving a bottleneck on older chips. I had something better than this typed, but you can thank the revert for not saving my crap as it wouldn't submit my post.

Back
Top Bottom