Black screen of death HP

AlphaMero

Solid State Member
Anyone have any experience with HP pavilion dv om6900 series (vista basic 32x) models that have the black screen of death. Is it worth fixing?

**not sure of the exact model number at the moment, its been awhile since i messed with it***

works one out of every 15 or so reboots.

other than that I get a black screen with blinking cursor.

Can a faulty battery cause this? even if plugged in to the wall?

Tried new hard drive

Tried installing Ubunto. Repartitioning hdd.

Basically, what I'm working with right now is a hp laptop with a fresh new hard drive. Can anything be done???

check your bios boot order... if it is just a blinking cursor than it is likely waiting for some kind of software to load.

Check the RAM with Memtest86+ (let it run for a minimum of 4 hours; overnight is best).
Take out the battery and plug into AC and see if that helps or not.

Will do, I think I tried all this seems familiar. Was not a simple fix like this. But I will try again. Been about a year since I messed with it.

Thank you
Mero

I am still on the quest for a cure. I have gotten this thing to run a few times since my last post. There is a blinking cursor I have seen many black screen of death problems fixed. There is hope damit! I know this baby works. Any help or expertise would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried resetting the phoenix bios. I have replaced the cmos battery, the initial tests specified a bad hard drive. Mem test was fine. It was a 200 GB (4200 rpm) I replaced it with a 500gb 7200rpm. After I replaced the hdd and installed the factory OS then began this new issue of no OS found. It HAS booted on multiple occasions. More so when I installed ubuntu. I don't even care if a different OS has to be installed or completely changing anything. Don't mind learning Linux, that would be great actually. I just want this machine to run on startup.

Would I need to do some sort of partitioning? Is there any possible way to reset or bypass the factory OS, or 'unlock' the computer? The factory disks dont seem to be doing the trick.

here she is, the exact model:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01512668&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3747900

Thank you for your time!
Please help!

Mero

You can install both OS's if you want. Partition the HDD using GParted, and then install Ubuntu on the other partition.

I tried that lol. It does start up more freaquently with ubuntu installed I know that much.

Is it possible to reflash or change the bios to something else?
and maybe reinstall another version of windows.

Can a faulty battery pack cause the bios to not read an OS at startup?

Last edited:
after exiting from bios its a gamble, no. I wouold say one out of every ten times it starts up, it gives the option to enter safe mode on its own. The cursor just blinks for some time. If you press multiple keys while the screen is black you start to hear beeping. It is somewhat responsive lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom