Some Questions About Hardware

I have a 2TB drive full of game ISOs and manage my gaming, Photoshop, and other program needs with a 120GB drive. Having a small SSD actually is beneficial in installing and playing 1 game at a time if you do SP. You can also still have your MP games on Steam if you play those.

120GB (109 usable) granted me a Windows 7 install, GTA4 + EFLC (30GB), BF3 with Close Quarters (22GB size), War Thunder beta, my emulators, Photoshop, Premier, and a few other smaller programs while having Chrome, FRAPS, messengers ect installed. I still had about 15GB left on my drive after having all this on there.

I have a 2TB drive full of game ISOs and manage my gaming, Photoshop, and other program needs with a 120GB drive. Having a small SSD actually is beneficial in installing and playing 1 game at a time if you do SP. You can also still have your MP games on Steam if you play those.

120GB (109 usable) granted me a Windows 7 install, GTA4 + EFLC (30GB), BF3 with Close Quarters (22GB size), War Thunder beta, my emulators, Photoshop, Premier, and a few other smaller programs while having Chrome, FRAPS, messengers ect installed. I still had about 15GB left on my drive after having all this on there.

Well since there's only 10€ difference I probably am going to get the 1TB one.
What about the GPU? GTX660 would be better than the 7870? Do any of both cause some kind of problem like overheating or freezing?

Don't think either overheat, but the GTX 660 comes with the better drivers from Nvidia. Yes, they are that much better.

If you have the cash, I can't really stress enough how much of a difference SSDs make.

Oh Alright.
Do gamers need 500+ GB of Disk space? Or 500 would do just fine?

I quess it depends on your needs my primary boot drive is 2 X 128 GB OCZ SSDs in a RAID 0 which only gives me about 220GB of usable space btu the two of them are rocket fast ... then I have a 3TB HD for media storage ... it is all in what you want to do and what your budget looks like

If you can find a small (sub 64GB) SSD it helps as well to move your page file off disk from your system disk since you are probably losing about 12GB to your page file

I just looked at your specs and you are running 32GB of RAM... so you are probably losing 48GB to your page file if you only have a 120GB SSD I would seriously recommend moving it

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think either overheat, but the GTX 660 comes with the better drivers from Nvidia. Yes, they are that much better.

If you have the cash, I can't really stress enough how much of a difference SSDs make.

Looking at your specs you have a GTX 580 and i5 750, how do they perform at the latest games?

If you can find a small (sub 64GB) SSD it helps as well to move your page file off disk from your system disk since you are probably losing about 12GB to your page file

I just looked at your specs and you are running 32GB of RAM... so you are probably losing 48GB to your page file if you only have a 120GB SSD I would seriously recommend moving it
When you run an SSD you disable the pagefile or put it on a HDD to reduce unnecessary writes to the SSD. It's in every SSD setup list out there basically. And actually, Windows assigns the size that matches your amount of RAM if you have 2GB or larger in Windows 7 and 8. When I first installed Windows 8 on my 3960x rig it tried giving me a 64GB pagefile on my SSD. No way am I wasting all that space on something I don't need at all.

ALso, I took the 32 out and I'm currently using 8GB with the tests I'm doing.

Looking at your specs you have a GTX 580 and i5 750, how do they perform at the latest games?
Bone stock, I max every game at 1920x1200. Most games I use 4x AA or above. I dropped maybe 2fps on each game dropping to this from my 3960x.

If their are any gamers that have a problem with needing more storage or even have old HDD's or SSD's. SSDs are probably the no 1 upgrade at the moment.

many users that buy multiple SSDs or 2.5" HDDs

many customers building compact HTPCs

Last edited by a moderator:
So in short SSDs for windows and HDD for normal media and games?
Also, which 7870 version is better? Twin Frozr, XTX or those from Gigabyte or MSI?

I use my SSD for everything, but some people prefer to install 10 million things and wind up using an extra HDD for said storage.

MSI makes the Twin Frozr, and I would say that one. XFX's Ghost cooler is junk but their warranty isn't bad. I would say scrap all of them and get the 660ti or 660.

Back
Top Bottom