Build Ideas?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone!

Most likely anyone who answers this post has seem similar ones in the past. And that is because I plan to build my own PC this year (first time I've built one from scratch), and I'm trying to decide which setup would best suit my needs. Sorry if they seem repetitive, but I want to make absolute certain the system I build does what I need.

A few different people suggested pretty complete builds to me, and I've liked the specs of the suggested builds thus far. However, it seems like each one I've looked into (including ideas that have been tossed my way from different sources) isn't to much different from the other; but the main difference (and the only one that begs my attention) is the CPU.

My roomate (as much as I detest him), is fairly knowledgeable about computer building and he recommended I go with an i5 processor for a CPU because my needs require some UMPF from my system that two cores may not handle so graciously. Looking into i5's, I like the fact they have four cores but they are clocked lower than my second option, which seems to trade the two additional cores for almost 1GHz extra speed per core (within my price range of course).

Some fellow forum members recommended an i3 processor, with the verdict being if I wanted to game on the platform, I'd need more power in my GPU; and that makes sense. However, I also need processing power for things like video editing/rendering, multi-tasking (A LOT of multi-tasking), and being able to do things moderately well with a paused game in the background (something my current PC can't efficiently do).

I've chalked down the processor options (the ones that seemed to be most popular in the i3 and i5 categories) to an i3 3220 (3.3GHz, dual core), and an i5 2310 (2.9GHz, quad core). As for RAM I've decided on 8GB for this future build. Other specs aside, between the i3 3220 and the i5 2310, which one would be better suited for the tasks my computer will endure? Remember, the primary reason I'm building this system is so I have a more "modern" PC that can handle both gaming and more tedious processing tasks.

i3 Option: Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220

i5 Option: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2310 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz (3.2GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52310

Same price, faster.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3330 Ivy Bridge 3.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53330

Don't forget, the i3 has HT which gives you 2 more threads. Depending on what you will be actually running in the background Windows generally gives the task up front all of the CPU unless you are doing some crunching in the background. Your priorities should decide what you put more money into honestly. I mean, the Phenom 2 I linked you before would have done the same thing for 89 bucks less, and if you want to game more that extra money is more than the difference between the 660 and 660ti for example. Like I said though, it all really depends. If you want to have 30 tabs in Chrome open, and like 10 other programs the obvious answer will be a quad but just remember the more you have open the slower your PC will go regardless of what you have.

Phenom ii's do seem to be a cheaper option; and honestly I'm not dead set on an intel-based processor. The general consensus of most computer enthusiasts I know is that Intel-based processors beat AMD by a country mile; so I usually turn to Intel first. As for the multi-tasking, I'm not exactly planning on doing all that much at once, I just come from a long ownership history of single core desktops and one older dual core setup, so when I say "a lot of multitasking", I'm speaking relative to my current specs. Lol That being said, I have absolutely no problem rethinking my desired setup (switching Intel for AMD), but I don't want to build a computer with "crap components". My current setup has an AMD based processor and I love it, but everyone seems to be screaming Intel these days. Honestly if AMD hardware isn't "worse" than Intel hardware and it's cheaper then I'd just get a Phenom ii to an i3.

Well it's like I said, it's whatever your priority is. I mean, the i5 3330 is going to be better than the 965 sure, but that doesn't mean it wont be a ton better than whatever you might have. You could get that and still have a quad, then maybe have enough money to grab a 660ti or whatever is left of your budget. It still games good (as does my i5 750 stock), and will still have 4 physical cores that are still speedy for any task. The i5 would just be more of a future proof so you kind of just have to gamble with your budget and needs. I could probably help you out if you list off exactly what you plan to do program and game wise.

Well, I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means. I don't need to play on max FPS, farthest render distance, et cetera. However, I would like decent performance in gaming as my current PC can handle some games IF I play them on the lowest settings (and I blame the crappy, integrated graphics for that). Since I'm building a new system I'd well like to upgrade my performance otherwise I don't see the point in making the investment. As far as programs go, I don't plan on running anything too heavy, but I still need power. I do however, need this machine to process/render/edit videos with at least decent performance. I've done all three on single core systems which is absolutely terrible and I've tried my hand on my current system and yielded better but still less-than-desireable results; mainly in terms of the time the system takes to finish the tasks. Also, I plan on investing in animation software (such as Maya) which will definitely require some more powerful hardware than what I have.
Truthfully, I'd be perfectly okay with the 965; and the fact the i5 3330 beats it isn't really a concern for me. I'm aware that Intel processors have certain "advanced technologies" that AMD processors lack, but I'm confident that won't make me lose any sleep wondering what could of been. For this build, I think I would like a nice balance of GPU to CPU performance. I don't want ALL the power in the GPU but I don't want another computer with a good processing system and crap graphics.
I have to confess my interest in the build you suggested (when I asked about upgrading a tower I have) is growing each time I look over the parts. What's your take on that setup? And do you have any others to recommend based on my desired uses?

Maya? Oh gee, you might want the instruction sets from the newer Intel CPUs for that as I'm not sure if it has Cuda support for GPU acceleration.

Besides that, the 965 is going to be 10x better than doing any of that on any single or dual core you have already used. I 100% guarantee that. If you only have the cash to get the setup I put in your other thread (I think it was a 970 board, 955, 8GB DDR3 ect) then go ahead and get that and grab a 660 or 660ti. That will give you more than acceptable frame rates while still being a complete leap forward in CPU performance for your demanding programs.

Sounds like a plan to me. I went ahead and looked into a PSU, and according to my research, a 660ti requires a 700W PSU minimum. I don't know how true that is; but here's what I came up with:

Graphics: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N66TWF2-2GD GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Would these two do the trick?

Back
Top Bottom