Tri-Fire problems

reggie_da_man

Fully Optimized
Hi,

Been forever since I posted here but I'm running into some problem and wondering if anyone has some insight.

Here are my specs:

I5 3570K @ 4.6
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
16GB Mushkin mem 1866mhz 9-10-9-27
Sapphire 6950 2GB (flashed to 6970)
Diamond 6950 2GB (flashed to 6970)
Powercolor 6970 2GB
WD 1TB
Seagate 2TB
OCZ 1000W PSU
Kingston 120GB SSD
Eyefinity 3 x 1080P

I started playing Far Cry 3 with the 2 6950's and everything ran fine. I had to set the graphics to medium to get 60-70+ FPS to be able to run 5760 x 1080 across my 3 screens. I wanted to be able to up the specs to at least high so I picked up a 6970. Popped it in and everything went to hell.

It looks like everything has been stretched, my HUD is huge and half off the screen, as are the menus. Performance is HORRIBLE... I get maybe 25-30 FPS tops and all the stuttering in the world. I tried using new drivers, old drivers, beta drivers, made sure all the clocks were the same, cards are not overheating (max 80C). I even formatted my hard drive to make sure there were no driver conflicts. Still the same crap. All 3 cards are plugged in properly (power and Xfire bridge).

If I use one screen, I'll get around 150fps but again all the stuttering in the world makes it feels like 25 fps.

Any suggestions? I'm going crazy...

You are probably going to hate me for this, but I suggest selling them and going Nvidia. AMD'd driver support is absolutely horrible and it gets worse when you get into multi-GPU and Eyefinity. I also hate to say this, but it seems like your problems are going to be all on the drivers just by your description.

Yea I figured as much. I know the drivers are kind of crap from AMD but I didn't figure they'd be this horrid. I was seriously considering going Nvidia just because of the driver support, but they're so damn expensive. I guess I'll run the two 6950's, sell the one I just picked up and see what the 700 series brings, or the 8000 series from AMD if they up there driver game. With the way things are going for AMD, I'm probably going with Nvidia... unless someone finds a fix.

check to make sure the bios number is the same across all the cards. use GPUZ to look at the bios number, im going to bet the bios number on the actual 6970 is different than the flashed 6950s, theres your problem. if the bios numbers arent the same, the cards dont like talking to each other. when i was setting up my 6950s ( unlocked to 6970s ) thats what was giving me the hardest time. i tried everything, checked the bios's, made sure they matched up, had to flash the appropriate bios on one of them and they worked ( better ). also try moving them around to different slots. you said everything was working good with the 2 6950s then the 6970 botched it. try running the 6970 by its self and see if it performs as it should.

this is the reason i went to the green team like Mguire was sayin. i sold my CF 6950s for $350 and bought my 680 on Craigslist for $350. i mostly did this because my CF 6950s wouldnt work in far cry 3, and i had been looking forward to that game for about a year. having a rig that wasnt able to play the game that iw anted to play just wasnt an option. havent looked back since. AMD will have to come out with a monster for me to switch back to their cards.

Also my single 680 performs about 40% - 50% better than my CF6950s( unlocked to 6970s )

check out my thread showing my findings:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/switching-red-team-green-team-262905/

be sure to check out my post on the second page

my favorite thing about the green team is Adaptive Vsync! its awesome

Last edited:
One of the "big deals" about AMD/ATI is mix matching like gen cards. If you can't do it without going into strict detail over the bios then there isn't a point really. Just more headaches for little performance gains.

Back
Top Bottom