Mobo and GPU recommendations

Tried taking out the PCIe cables but they're stubborn, how do I take them out? I don't wanna apply too much force on them :S.
Edit : Well, I managed to take them off. And it turned out that it was actually connected the right way.
Btw, someone else told me that the power drops results from the GPU usage drops and not the other way around ( which what I thought it was ), what do you think?

Last edited:
Power drops? Your power has nothing to do with your GPU usage, unless you are referring to FPS. In this case, yes of course. But as I already demonstrated, you can still have well over acceptable frame rates even without your GPU being maxed at 99%. Your GPU usage is still going to be less on lower res monitors. I'm pretty sure my article goes into detail on that, and how CPU power then becomes the limiting factor in that case.

Regardless of all that, your freezing has nothing to do with your GPU usage which is what I said before as well. There is a problem there, and I'm not exactly sure what more I can tell you to find what the problem is. I've told you my ideas and things to try and that's about as far as I can go without literally having it in front of me. If you haven't noticed, I don't really go into the troubleshooting sub-forum because I'm not very good at telling people what to do to fix things. I can just say what my ideas are but without physically seeing it myself can't exactly help that much.

Thank you for all the help so far.
IDK if you'll still have the temper to answer me, but how is GPU usage not related to FPS outputted? I thought more GPU usage = more FPS, and more power to card = more usage from the card. How are they not related to each other?
The power drops I'm referring to is the number in MSI afterburner. I think the power is in percentage or so, I have it on the top left of the screen and same for GPU usage, whenever one decreases the other decreases, and FPS decreases too.
Anyways thanks again for all the help.

I never said it wasn't related. The thing is, at lower resolutions your GPU usage wont always be maxed. For instance, I can play an older game and have well over 100FPS and not use even 50% GPU. Lower resolutions tend to do this as well because the GPU doesn't have to work as hard, but the CPU does. At higher resolutions the GPU takes longer to process textures and other things and so the CPU doesn't have to work as hard to keep up feeding the GPU information. At lower resolutions the GPU is in like super speed mode because it doesn't have to work as hard, and the CPU has to keep up with that. Hence why I said, lower resolutions are more CPU bound. The analogy is terrible but I hope you get what I'm saying. You can easily Google this if you don't believe me.

Sometimes the CPU can be a slight bottleneck as well, for instance like my i5 750. Even though I am still getting more than acceptable frame rates with the 580 the fact that my GPU usage isn't maxed is an indication that my CPU is a slight bottleneck (1200p + maxed and AA). I'm sure this may confuse you or some, but I'll try to explain. Back in the old days you could tell a CPU was a bottleneck because it was either obvious (way old CPU, way new GPU) or it was at 100% all the time with a good GPU and not giving good FPS compared to other people with better CPUs and a similar card. In this case, it is more likely that the game in question can't and wont max a quad core or higher CPU. So speed and single threaded performance will bottleneck the GPU in pure throughput even though the CPU isn't showing 100%. In your case, with a modern i5 this can't possibly be the case. I figured I would put that there so you don't think it is your CPU. This is kind of why I tell people, if you're doing 60fps just turn your monitoring programs off and play the game. At 60fps average (or around it) your dip wont be enough to lag even if one part of your system may be a potential bottleneck or something isn't being used 100%. Parts not being used 100% to me is just headroom, and we like headroom. The people who get stuck staring at percentages or frame rates usually wind up spending a ton of money for nothing. Kind of giving that warning before it happens.

As to your problems, it's not that I'm getting a temper or anything. It's just as of right now I'm not entirely sure what your problem is and can't help. All I can really say is, it isn't your GPU, it isn't your CPU or any form of bottleneck. It simply lies within your PSU, software, or a bad part.

Okay thank you.
Ok I got the log file from my friend who has almost the exact same specs. I noticed that in his logs, power and GPU usage drop indeed, but the FPS don't drop. Weird?
Also, power in his log didn't exceed 71, while in my log reached 77 sometimes. Normal?

It's the Power % in MSI afterburner. You can look in it in MSI afterburner if you can as you'll be able to understand what it is much more than me.

Okay I was able to record the problem on video. I used MSI Afterburner and the quality is crap but it's the best I could achieve, unless I would raise quality too 100% which would make the video too big I believe.
Well the video is here, even when I uploaded the AVI file the quality is still crap :S. Here's the video : BF3 Lag issue - YouTube
At 0:07, there is an apparent lag while I'm reloading, and at 0:10-0:11 while I'm aiming with the scope.

Back
Top Bottom