updating a 5 year old gaming rig - PART TWO

mark1413

Baseband Member
Major props to PP Mguire for the incredible help on my last thread, and im sure he will end up chiming in on this one too.

So basically the only thing left when i am done with this will be my rosewill 850W psu and my case.

I have ordered (and was supposed to be here today, but should get here tomorrow):
msi z77a-g41 mobo
i5 3570k cpu
and 8gb of g.skill ripjaw ram.

Now i need the part that really matters, the gpu.

I am leaning toward a geforce gtx 660 ti. However i would love some input, and once this is narrowed down a little help picking the exact manufacturer of the card would be helpful.

I was leaning toward this one:
Newegg.com - MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
simply because it comes with a slight factory overclock, and it is made by MSI, which will be the same mfr as my mobo.

I would love any input you guys have.

Just signed up for newegg preferred account. This may be the start of a bad trend for me, haha.

MSI make good cards but I'm personally an eVGA person myself. #1 reason being their CS is top notch and will almost always replace your hardware without a problem.

Another thing to look at is, the slight overclock you can do yourself. I wouldn't pay extra money for a 100MHz OC on my GPU when it takes less than 2 minutes to do that yourself on a cheaper card. Point and case, take these into consideration.

289 bucks for the standard reference card.
Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Or if you want the OC and better cooling solution they have this one for the same price.
Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-3664-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature2 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

They also have the in between model for cheaper.
Newegg.com - EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-3662-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Either way is a good choice. It's really up to you. Mfr likeness makes no difference, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Last edited:
Went for the OC'ed one not because of i cant OC it myself, but because of the two fans and the better cooling.

Done and done.

thanks

All in all, it wont make that much of a difference because these cards are not hot at all and don't take a lot of power. The insurance is still nice though. If anything if the fan actually does hit full load it wont be as loud.

No prob.

Edit: In case you didn't notice, I traded that triple slot beast Galaxy card straight up for a stock eVGA just to have it and the warranty/CS support.

Back
Top Bottom