Ultra low powered home server.

Dude that's a nice find. For only 20 bucks more you have quite a bit more functionality out of it. I'm really beginning to re-think my mini ITX plan and change it back to micro ATX, mostly because it inherently comes with more bang/buck. Especially considering my server will be on the shelf somewhere I really don't need it to be as slim as remotely possible. I'm still a little meh on relying on the AMD APU for GPU related tasks, since after all I'd be using Linux on it and AMD drivers as a whole (especially Linux) have left me disappointed on more than one occasion, but the PCIE slot, even at 4x, is at least reassuring.

That sucker is getting bookmarked, but I think it's time to shop around in micro ATX land a bit just to see what else is out there...

That board is mATX, unless you mean other combos. Not sure you'll find a better deal that that really.

Yea I totally forgot you wanted Linux. In that case you could get a cheap GT620 to plop in the 4x slot and be gold. Like I said, I have an 8400GS in a 4x slot for my projector and it's a lot slower than the GT620. The 620 probably would have better Linux drivers too.

Oh I know it's mATX, that's what gave me the push to start looking at other mATX boards instead of mini ITX. I guess the only thing that I'm having trouble with is I look at larger boards and immediately associate them as being more power hungry. It's probably totally unrealistic, especially if I get an AMD APU of some sort, but meh. Just a barrier in my mind I suppose. I just don't want to hook this rig up to a kill-a-watt and see it's eating power... couple that with my spoiled green streak I've been experiencing with the nettop I have and, well, there you have it. :p

I would easily feel better about the Nvidia card if I ever needed it in Linux. This is an entirely different conversation, but Nvidia, while being closed source zealots and I think they should burn at the stake for that, they at least provide decent back-support for older cards even with newer kernels. AMD will leave you high and dry, however AMD also released a lot of their code to better the open source driver quite a bit. I hate each one for different reasons, but love each one for different reasons. I'm just not sure if the open source AMD Linux driver is up to snuff to rely on for decent HD playback should that need ever arise, otherwise I'd get the AMD, use the open source driver, and would never second guess it since I wouldn't be running on their proprietary drivers.

Last edited:
The components consume the power, the board doesn't add power usage unless you go way older to the boards that had hot power hungry north bridge chipsets.

True, it's just hard for my mind to be geared that way. I have a PSU currently which is listed as 280w max. I was hoping to utilize that for this build. Ultimately I'll likely end up with 3 HDDs (maybe 4 someday?), one fan at max, no CD/DVD drive, and hopefully (but maybe) a GPU someday. Hmm... I wonder if that'll be enough.

Depends on the brand honestly. I'll go on a limb and say as long as you don't go overboard with the GPU the PSU will be just fine considering the E350 is an 18w chip.

Besides the Atom, is there anything else comparable to the E350 series APU? In my search it jumps from the Atom right to the i3, which seems like a pretty substantial jump. I just keep thinking I'm missing something on the Intel front.

Back
Top Bottom