Help with GPU driver update

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
Today I tried to download/update to a new gpu driver for my 560ti 448 core MSI twin frozen that I currently have in my gaming pc (cpu=2500k i5 running win7 64bit) at home and the update failed - tried several ways = nvidia website, MSI website, and also by going thru the my computer/display drivers/ update = all failed. When trying to update the driver in the display adapter area which lists the driver as a 9.18.13.697 caused a window to appear= Microsoft visual c++ Runtime library - {this application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in a unusual way. please contract the applications support team for more information.}

I remember having difficulty getting any driver to work with this GPU originally and the one i finally installed was the 306. 97 driver ( it was a beta about a year ago ) and it worked great until recently when I am noticing iffy frame rates, and a few CTD in Skyrim and Dues ex.

So , now I think the driver is corrupted or something. When I open Kombuster software it lists the driver as a r290.36 which has the same numbers behind it as the numbers listed in the display adapter area= 9.18.13.697. BUT, when I go into "list of programs" area it lists a bunch of Nvidia programs/drivers = 3D driver and a graphics drivers both show 306.97 and are dated 10/28/2012, an update program 1.10.8 also dated 10/28/12, HD audio 1.3.9.0 dated 1/17/12 and a physX dated 12/25/12. If I try to uninstall the driver from the program list in windows it fails/crashed the PC.

I have driver sweeper installed, but do not know how to use it. When I open it, the first screen has AMD display listed, i analyze that area by checking that box correct? , and it lists a bunch of stuff after I analyze . BUT ?? I have a nvidia GPU so why does it even list a AMD display ?

So, I think the 290 (9.18.13.697) driver is actually the driver being used on my PC which is fairly old and I knew there is a new Nvidia driver available, but the 306 driver is still in the system and causing issues regarding any driver updates and I cant uninstall it. OR Maybe I am even more clueless than that and I dont understand what is going on at all.

Confused!?

Under the Driver sweeper just select Nvidia and remove all. If it works right then under the add/remove panel it should just say "This software has previously been removed, remove from list?" when you try to uninstall anything Nvidia. Sounding like a fresh install is due if you are having this much trouble though.

A fresh install of Nvidia software or of windows? Also do you mean select "nvidia display" in driver sweeper and then remove all?

Last edited:
Windows. Driver corruption usually stays and you will have problems unless you re-install Windows due to permissions issues. Sometimes sweeper programs can't work because they aren't allowed to delete the corrupted files from the Windows folder even with elevated admin privileges.

Yea, select anything Nvidia and just remove it all. They are only going to be display drivers anyways (or should be) so it all should go. Reboot, then try uninstalling via add/remove and it should give you the message I indicated earlier. If it still crashes then a fresh install of Windows is due. If they are already gone, or Windows allows you to remove them then just install the latest Nvidia drivers which should be 310.70.

how does this have anything to do with upgrading computer hardware?

Where else should I have started the thread? After all - I am trying to upgrade the driver in a hardware item= GPU. There is no area to ask this question that I could see.

Should I also "clean" the AMD display area- since I don't even have a AMD GPU or CPU?

Thanks PP

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom