OC'ing RAM

Yevrag35

Pushing Daisies on Saturn
Now, i'm pretty new to OC'ing. Through various websites' help, I was able to overclock my 2600k to 4.5GHz (which was easy enough thanks to ASUS's EFI GUI Bios). But I'm really stumped as to why my board pitches a fit when I try to OC the RAM.
I bought this RAM Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR in hopes of it to work @ 1866MHz.

This is the board I have. Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

The second I put try to adjust the RAM speed through the bios (even 1MHz over 1600), the computer gives me an "overclocking failed" post message.

I'm just not sure I understood what the (O.C.) after 1866 meant when I bought the board, but I thought it would be possible to get to it. I know this is kind of a vague problem (you can ask any questions you need and I'll answer them to the best of my knowledge), but can someone tell this über-noob why he's so stupid (...please?).

You have to up the RAM multiplier, or get 1866 through XMP. There are no gains of using anything higher than 1600. Take that from somebody who has 64GB of 2133.

Do NOT up the FSB/BCLK. You take a risk at damaging your other components by doing that.

to reiterate what pp said

you would not be able to tell the difference between 1333mhz and 2133mhz ram... DDR3 is just so fast and efficient, overclocking it just doenst yield any noticeable performance gains. just weak links and potential future BSODs...

Back
Top Bottom