How do I link my computer to my TV?

bo0ga

Beta member
I have a double sided HDMI cable. I see the port on the TV for HDMI and it goes in fine. However there is no HDMI port on my laptop. I have 2 USB ports, a 15 min monitor port, and an ethernet port.

I did a search for "HDMI to USB adapter" and the only ones I can find are an HDMI to a MINI USB cable. I can't find one for a regular size. Any idea what I should do?

a 15 pin monitor port?

That's a VGA connector. Some TV's (my 60" Sharp has one) have VGA connectors on them. I'm assuming yours doesn't?

The micro USB to HDMI are generally used for phones.

Might you be looking for something similar to this?

http://www.amazon.com/Video-Cable-Black-Support-Necessary/dp/B002TUC64W

EDIT: Also, just read. might be important (from the Amazon page there)

NOTE: Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function. Please consult with your VGA card's user manual for more information.

Last edited:
Actually if you read some of the reviews on it, it sounds like it might only take the video and and not the audio?

"They should have a disclaimer letting you know that VGA to HDMI is not possible simply through a cable. VGA is an analog output, whereas HDMI is a digital output. Without some kind of converter between the two it doesn't work. So a cable that has VGA on one end and HDMI on the other end will not do what you think it will do."

"VGA is an analog medium. HDMI is digital. A VGA to HDMI cable will never work unless your video card provides for digital output through the VGA port. You must use a converter box to convert the analog VGA signal to a digital HDMI signal."

You are very welcome!

Ahh yes yes. That's because VGA (the original connection type) doesn't transmit audio. You'd just have to connect audio with another cable.

And about the VGA to HDMI conversion.... That's dependent on your laptops specifications.

That specific box takes HDMI input and outputs it to VGA and 3.5mm. Let me see if I can find a box that'll work.

EDIT: This one looks to fit the bill nicely.
For only $27.34 each when QTY 50+ purchased - VGA to HDMI® Converter | VGA to HDMI Converters

I've bought from Monoprice before, they're a legitimate site :tongue:

So with that I would need a separate cable that has a VGA on both ends, correct? So the double sided HDMI would go from the TV to this adapter, and then the double sided VGA would go from this adapter to the laptop?

Back
Top Bottom