Graphics card in Laptop

Loki Master

Beta member
I will recieve my new laptop Friday I am trying to find out if I can install a Nvida or any other graphics card into a ASUS K55A-BI5093B Laptop It curently has onboard intel 4000 UMA I do not have the laptop in front of me yet however it does not ship with a manual ASUS was no help Can someone here let me know and if so suggest a good card thanks for any help this is my first post on this or any form.

In theory, you could remove the gpu.. by breaking off tiny solder joints. But then good luck finding another one that's compatible and getting that tiny tiny thing soldered back on. Especially with like the 1000+ pins that are about a tenth of a millimeter.
However if you really and desperately need to upgrade a laptop's video card and have no other computer, it is possible to hook up a desktop video card to a laptop. As long as it has an "express card" slot and a 64 bit operating system.
http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616#null
You will also need a monitor and a desktop power supply. It will also not be portable. I don't have one because my Alienware m14X's video card is actually usable for gaming.:cool:
So I can't explain exactly how to set it up. Maybe that link will help.

Last edited:
Well, I have an ASUS model U57A-BBL4 BIOS: K55A.204 and I am about to start working in AutoDesk Maya for an Online Class. I have never used it, and so anyway I was at Best Buy because I will need to update my existing Video Graphics Card. It is the Intel HD Graphics 3000. I saw that the requirements for AutoDesk Maya the Video Graphics Card need to be one of these: NVIDIA Quadro 2000, 4000, 5000, 600, 6000, k5000
OR
ATI Radeon card.

Now, I am genuinely concerned that with an Integrated Card that I will Not be able to upgrade to a higher standard or premium video graphics card.

This computer is still under Warranty from August 4th, 2012.

I checked out some YouTube Videos of how to install a Graphics Card for laptop, but from the question that has been answered, I am afraid that I would have to get a new computer and I don't have the money to do that.

What am I supposed to do?

Last edited:
Short reply..... NO. You can not replace this video card in a laptop. Most of the time they are part of the motherboard. To upgrade the video card, you need to replace the motherboard, and i order to do that, you need to purchase a new laptop computer.

There are some laptop that will allow you to change a video card around. However it will not be cost effective to do so.

Sorry, I hate to break the news to you, but it sounds like you have purchased a lemon.

Well, I have an ASUS model U57A-BBL4 BIOS: K55A.204 and I am about to start working in AutoDesk Maya for an Online Class. I have never used it, and so anyway I was at Best Buy because I will need to update my existing Video Graphics Card. It is the Intel HD Graphics 3000. I saw that the requirements for AutoDesk Maya the Video Graphics Card need to be one of these: NVIDIA Quadro 2000, 4000, 5000, 600, 6000, k5000
OR
ATI Radeon card.

Now, I am genuinely concerned that with an Integrated Card that I will Not be able to upgrade to a higher standard or premium video graphics card.

This computer is still under Warranty from August 4th, 2012.

I checked out some YouTube Videos of how to install a Graphics Card for laptop, but from the question that has been answered, I am afraid that I would have to get a new computer and I don't have the money to do that.

What am I supposed to do?

This is a huge reason why I decided to buy/build a computer as of late. Laptop couldn't handle anything I needed to do in class anymore. I had to drive to school every day to use their computers..but a major drain on gas and I am lazy in the mornings :p

What I did was use some of my financial aid to purchase the computer. While not really recommended... it is an option o_O;

Short reply..... NO. You can not replace this video card in a laptop. Most of the time they are part of the motherboard. To upgrade the video card, you need to replace the motherboard, and i order to do that, you need to purchase a new laptop computer.

There are some laptop that will allow you to change a video card around. However it will not be cost effective to do so.

Sorry, I hate to break the news to you, but it sounds like you have purchased a lemon.

Oh, I see. Sucks. Hope there are other alternatives because I Cannot afford to get a new one. I just can't.

This is a huge reason why I decided to buy/build a computer as of late. Laptop couldn't handle anything I needed to do in class anymore. I had to drive to school every day to use their computers..but a major drain on gas and I am lazy in the mornings :p

What I did was use some of my financial aid to purchase the computer. While not really recommended... it is an option o_O;

I wouldn't know how to go about building a new one . I am Not a Gamer. I am a Multimedia Graphic Design Student, and I can't afford to get a new computer. I don't have any financial aid because my father and I made a deal that he would pay my tuition. He already paid for this current one I have, back in August of last year. I bought this computer because it is was considered a Multimedia Powerhouse and that is what I need.

There has to be another way because I had No idea I was needing to upgrade my graphics card.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom