System Does Not Detect New Hard Drive

Press_Corpse

In Runtime
Hey folks,

Just as the title says, I bought a new hard drive and windows is not seeing it. Last week I purchased a WD Red 2TB drive in hopes of giving me some more elbow room to organize all my junk. I received it yesterday and opened the box, pretty well packaged from Amazon, and let the drive warm up in my home. It sat on my doorstep in freezing temperatures so I figured It wouldn't hurt it.

Anyhow, I moved around some stuff on different drives and replaced a smaller drive with the WD red. Bios and Windows do not detect the drive, but opening Western Digita;'s sata lifeguard tools it sees it under 'Physical drive" but not "Logical." Ive run 2 extended tests on the drive itself with it passing, Starting a third session on my way out the door now. I have updated my bios, usb3.0 drivers and sata drivers for the mobo. I don't want to give up just yet, but would like to be sure I am not leaving any stone unturned before I ship this back to Amazon.

thanks for any help you guys can give me
chris :)

Did you format it?

Start > Right click 'Computer' > Manage..." > Disk Management on the left-panel > find it on the right side (either top or bottom) > will probably be listed as RAW format > right click it and choose format.

Awesome! Got it going, thank you very much carnage. I have never gone that route before. All my drives must have been installed before I do fresh windows installs. 1.81 TB of elbow room now :)

Glad you got it working.

Some drives come preformatted; if you buy OEM bare drives though, they usually don't come preformatted, so you have to format them yourself.

Back
Top Bottom