Build Questions

I put the parts on PCPartPicker and it said that: "ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports."

What case should I get then that could house all of my components?

...Ok. So you can connect only the ones you want to? like only connect the USB 2.0 to the case?

On the board there are multiple headers. The case only has a USB2 dual header on the front so you plug that into the USB2 header port on the board in question. The board also has a USB3 header but they are different connectors. You can still plug USB3 devices into the front ports in USB2 mode, and USB3 mode in the rear USB3 ports. If you really want USB3 in the front you'll have to chose a different case.

Oh ok thanks

EDIT: So I've looked around and found a video for a PC for 550$. Here are the specs and would this be better for the money than my list I picked out?

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $81.99
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $61.97
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $29.99
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card $214.98
Case: Apex Vortex 3620 ATX Mid Tower Case $31.62
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $53.99
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer *$15.99

I know the prices will be different because it was posted a month ago but is this build still good for gaming today?

Last edited:
It is still good yes, but some of the components I wouldn't buy.

For isntance, I wouldn't get the 960 chipset ASRock as it's a cheaper board.
I also would not get an XFX PSU. Also, good luck finding a 955 as I think only the 965 is offered anymore. Still a good chip and probably same price but honestly I would keep the build you had previously.

For the OS I want to go with Windows 8 Pro Upgrade, because it is really cheap right now. Could I boot this system up with my copy Windows XP and then run the windows 8 Pro upgrade? Or are the parts that I want not compatible with Windows XP?

Also, the Corsair TX750 is 89.99$ on amazon, the same price as the TX650.

Back
Top Bottom