Connecting Speakers with a different input

Ornamexito

Baseband Member
Hello everyone, happy new year :) anyway i have got a sound system with 2 side speakers, a middle speaker and a subwoofer. My Computer has a 7.1 sound system support at the back so i can plug all of them in. The problem is that ALL of the speakers, including the sub, have 2 wires coming of them so how can i plug them in to the pc?
HERE IS THE PICTURE:
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

(In the picture): the 2 cables coming from a speaker, how can i convert them to an input on the right side of the picture?

Get an 1/8" plug and solder the wires onto the leads. If you don't want to solder, they make styles where you can just wrap the leads around terminals and screw a slip back onto the plug.

Can pick them up at places like Radioshack in their parts bins.

thanks, but do you know what those plugs are exacly called? Because i cajt find them on the internet (im in the uk and i mostly buy off ebay)

Curious... What speakers are these??? Motherboards are NOT meant to drive most typical speakers that don't already have 1/8" plug ends typically.... If you hook typical home audio speakers up with out a proper amp, and try to use the system to power them, you will most likely burn the motherboard out... The motherboard is only meant for like 5w or 10w at most.

Hmm looks like its not a good idea... the side and the middle speaker are from a small home cinema system but the amp broke. They are 4OHM and i dont know what wattage. The subwoofer is from a hi-fi system and it is 250w which i think is a bad idea then?
so will i need to find an amplifier for the system and then plug it in?

Yep, you'll need an amp / receiver. That's what I run on my computer. The receiver should have the audio RCA jacks, all you need to do after you get the receiver is get one of these

850601.jpg

and a regular 3.5mm cable to lead to your computer.

Plus, it looks like the plug you have in your original post is mono. You'll want stereo (even more if you have more speakers :tongue:)

Ok, but i am having problems with finding a cheap amp that can handle 3 speakers AND a Subwoofer. Anyone know any?

How cheap are we talking...? Because a amp will probably run you ~100 USD, where as a set of speakers meant for a pc with a sub and 5.1 audio is like 50-100.

We would also need to know the make/model of each speaker to help find a suitable amp.

Well as cheap as possible. The speakers are philips from a home cinema system with a dvd and the subwoofer is panasonic from a hi-fi system. I know the speakers are 4OHM and the subwoofer is max. 250w 6 impendance.

Yea... You are going to be better off buying a 5.1 set meant for a PC.. A cheap stand-alone receiver will run $150+ where as a half decent 5.1 set will run $60-$150 with everything needed and take up less space overall...

I purchased the Logitech x530 set recently, sounds rather nice once you get it all setup properly. For the $60 I spent on it, it's a great set, far cheaper and easier to buy something like that instead of a receiver and saves space.

Back
Top Bottom