Hello All!

memooch

Beta member
New to the forum! Need advice, but wasn't able to post in the "hardware" section. I have an external drive (Toshiba Canvio 3.0 1TB) but the female part of the Toshiba proprietary connector--the end that resides inside the drive case itself--is visibly broken! I need to know in your expert opinions 1) this can be repaired (most importantly, data retrieved), 2) if I might be able to crack it open and repair it myself, or 3) I'm outta luck!

Thanks to all in advance and best wishes for 2013!
-Memooch

Most likely you'll need to take it apart and physically hook the drive up to your computer (via SATA cable) to get your data then send it all back for RMA.

So...assuming there's nothing else wrong with the drive itself, I should be able to transfer the data using SATA to USB?

Just to wrap this up, in case anyone in my (newbie) position happens to search for this. The process was simple. Simply crack open the case of the external drive and remove/unplug the attached board. Two connectors, one the SATA and the other power, are now exposed which will allow you to connect it to your computer (I simply disconnected the seldom-used CD drive). As nothing else was faulty with the drive, I was able to easily extract my files.

MM

Back
Top Bottom