Need advice on a build

Jermanfu

Baseband Member
Hey guys. I'm looking to build a PC within the next 3 months. I started looking around at parts. But since it's been 6 years since I've built a PC, I know things have changed. I'm a little rusty on the logistics.

I would appreciate it if you guys could look at my build below and give me some information:

1). Is everything compatible?

2) This is going to strictly be a gaming PC. So I would like the best possible performance towards that end.

3) After coming up with the build below, I'm still about $300 under budget. So if you guys notice something that I can swap out for an upgrade, please let me know. or if you just happen to see an item that you think won't be as efficient as something else you might suggest, let me know.

4) In the past when building, I used Arctic Silver 5 compound for the processor heat sink. Is this still the best to use? Or is there a better alternative?

Otherwise, I just want to make sure that this is going to be an efficient, high performance machine which can be upgraded in the future.

Without further adieu:

Case:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card:
Newegg.com - Galaxy 67NPH6DV6KXZ GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Power Supply:
Newegg.com - Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

Processor:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

RAM:
Newegg.com - Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV316G160C9K

SSD:
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-512G.M 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Blue Ray:
Newegg.com - LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo Drive Model UH12NS29 - Blu-Ray Drives

Cooler:
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks so much for the advice. I've made some adjustments in my build based on your suggestions.

Yes this is strictly a gaming PC. I'm not planning on OCing. I'm curious about the water cooling but have never dealt with it before. Is it very difficult to install and maintain?

If you don't plan to OC then you can simply use the stock cooler. There isn't a reason to have aftermarket cooling if you don't OC.

To answer your question, no it's actually easier and much less strain on your motherboard. There is no maintain, just blow the dust off the rad like you would a normal heatsink.
On that note to your question in the OP, I still use AS5. There are "better" options but if you are familiar with it might as well use it.

Back
Top Bottom