New work PC's

Well- what did I say- oh ya, I don't expect any problems- famous last words. This is the first time I did not test components by plugging everything in to each other before installation- so I plug her in after install... and .... "nothing" , no post ,no beep , no nothing... hmm...... ok - I have a extra PSU- so I guess I will start with that. Any ideas- please post.

When you hit the power button does it do anything at all? If so, not the PSU.
Do the usual, 1 stick of RAM, no dedicated GPU, board on cardboard box, ect.

What did you wind up with in the end?

I thought I posted the entire build- i just added tat cheap GPU as above, other than that build is :

Intel 860 dual core CPU
MSi B75MA-E33 MOBO
Gskill 1600 RAm ( 2 x 4GB )
Antec Earthwatts 380 watt PSU
Silverstone Case PSO8
DVD/CD media drive
750 GB WD Black HD

- hmm... Well - took out the gpu, retried, nothing . Then switched out both PSU and MOBO trying to boot upon each change ( remember am building 2 of these) = nothing.... not a sound, no fan , no lights,etc. So - I must be doing something wrong. Ahhh... expected this on my firsts builds, but not now!! Can I use one stick of Ram?

OK - you will never believe it- I brought the PC to my tech "brick and mortar" store- the tech plugged it in and ........Beep, the stupid thing posted and went into the bios. The only thing we can figure is either the power cord I used at my house is bad or the power strip I plugged it into is bad...."frustrating" , but at least it is resolved. Since I have you here to ask- can I use one stick of Ram in the dual channel system? I have 8GB of 1600 RAM , but can only use 3+ GB due to using win7 32 bit ( work software only will use 32 bit ) - can I use just one stick of 4GB Ram? I bought 2 packs of 2 x 4Gb RAM so this way I will only use one pack and can either return the other or sell or ??.

Lol should have just mentioned that to begin with. Yea one stick will work fine although in single channel mode. Probably wont notice the difference.

OK - after pulling my hair out regarding the power issues on the first build- both builds completed including win7 loaded, MS office 2010 loaded, firefox loaded, still deciding on which anti- virus I will use in the office. The only issue I had on the second built was the front USB ports on the case did not work. After re-downloading chip drivers, USB drivers, etc. I finally checked the connection in the case and sure enough- one of the pins on the MOBO was bend down so the connection was bad- used a small flat-head screwdriver to bend it back into place and - wa-la !! So one more weird thing for someone to look for if they have similar issues in a future build. I had some difficulty with updating the bios and getting drivers off the MSi website- but after several attempts finally got it all to load properly. That software called "LIVE UPDATE 5" is pretty buggy- locked up a lot so finally just downloaded winwar and unzipped all the bios updates/drivers/ etc. directly from MSI and did not use their software for that. I read that the Liveupdate 5 is bad and several people say online that it completely screwed up their bios when they attempted to use it. I still cant get the bios to set the Ram speed properly , in spite of using MSi's overclocker II software, to 1600mhz- but at 1333mhz it will be fine for the office anyhow.

Thanks for the help again and I hope this thread helps others in the future.

For future reference use a mechanical pencil instead of a screwdriver as the flathead if it slips can hit the board pretty hard.

Also, Windows 7/8 typically has all the drivers you need so going through the trouble of all that wasn't really necessary. I only update INF on older rigs to get best possible performance, and sometimes wind up needing an Ethernet driver.

Back
Top Bottom