SSD read/write speeds and decay

steve10765

Daemon Poster
I have a 128GB ADATA xpg SX900 that cost $130 dollars.
It had advertised speeds of up to 550MB sequential read, 520MB sequential write.

Performance reviews(actual performance) give it around 480MB read, 175MB write.

around 45 days ago(11/6/12 actual date) I installed crystal mark, and tested my speeds and I remember I had 411MB read, and around 190MB write.

I just tested it today and I have 303MB read, 152MB write.

I have windows installed, and all the normal programs running like virus protection running on my SSD since I got my computer, and steam. so that takes up some space so the 550MB read and 520MB write is more likely achievable.

I just wanted to show you guys this, that I lost 100MB read in about a month and a half... Is this normal?
I posted in this section to help inform people who want to buy SSD's

Few things here, sequential is proposed speeds. You most likely will never see those maximum speeds. Second, if you don't have AHCI enabled them TRIM and garbage collection wont work which will cause read/write speeds to become slower. You also need to disable your pagefile which causes constant read/writes that cause speeds to be slower. Background tasks such as AV do the same thing as well. More than likely if you did a fresh install with the things mentioned without installing your AV you'll get closer to advertised speeds. I don't think you have a problem with decay here, but an Adata SSD wouldn't be my first, or even fifth choice brand wise.

Paging File disabled... now I need to find/set up AHCI
Trim is enabled

EDIT: what is achi, when I google it a bunch of stuff comes up.

Last edited:
Google is your best friend really.

The Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is a technical standard defined by Intel that specifies the operation of Serial ATA (SATA) host bus adapters in a non-implementation-specific manner.
The specification describes a system memory structure for computer hardware vendors to exchange data between host system memory and attached storage devices. AHCI gives software developers and hardware designers a standard method for detecting, configuring, and programming SATA/AHCI adapters. AHCI is separate from the SATA 3 Gbit/s standard, although it exposes SATA's advanced capabilities (such as hot swapping and native command queuing) such that host systems can utilize them.

Basically, a more advanced way for the drives to talk to your PC.

Ahh thats better!
Capture.PNG

thanks for posting alink to the Microsoft help site...
I love these speeds better!
I was also browsing the web while doing this test so that may have affected performance

how do those speeds look?

Haha looks like they wrote the write speeds to be way faster than actual. Looks a lot better than what you were saying though.

now that I am more knowledgeable about computers, I know to look up performance reviews of products before I buy. If I had Know back then I would have looked up performance reviews of SSD's around $120, then bought the best one. But hey, I'm still 5X faster than an HDD I bet!

I have this really old HDD thats 50GB and is like 25MB read and around 20MB write. I just use it to hold stupid stuff like Itunes and crap. My 150GB HDD is average speed... I only really have saints row the third and planetside 2 on my SSD since they benefit the most, my other games... meh

Back
Top Bottom