Hummm..Petabytes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I for one would like a petabyte simply for the fact that I'd never run out :D Assuming that for whatever reason defragging and/or formatting it doesn't take a year to complete would be nice, and also assuming they created some 'failsafe' thing which is impossible, cause I'd sure hate for my petabyte drive to fail even if I had only filled up 500mb lol. As for 'downloading the internet' yeah well the closest you could get would be having like an OC-128 connection which bill gates probably has a personal one going to his house, but yeah with that thing they said you could download the library of congress in about a minute, but that's NOTHING compared to the size of "The Internet" , but as shoobie said, it's mostly scripts, and MySQL databases with a lot of user informations on places like amazon which are a majority of the sites

Nubius said:
Also I read a thing, similar to the DNA article, regarding being able to put information in a brain cell. I believe it could hold like one million billion gigabytes of data if they could actually write info to it lol, I don't know it was pretty freakin insane. It was based off of 'How fast is our brain in comparison to processors' and 'how much storage capacity does our brain have?'

I don't know what you read, but it has no reality. Cells cannot hold anywhere near that amount in their current states, although direct comparisons are bound to be difficult.

Re : "downloading the internet". I personally write interactive pages, in PHP, and the page is only created on a request, and it entirely depends on what that request is. For example, I have a fantasy football site which allows users to compare any number of player's performance in a graph, which is generated dynamically. To get all the results would be impossible. Also, the jpeg (or was it a png, probably png) graph is itself generated directly from user input, thus can't be replicated without the same inputs. Dynamic content is what the web is becoming, static pages don't exist any more.

I know, and have done (although it's generally less hassle ftping up and down and testing externally than setting up a complete server just for that purpose IMO). The point I was trying to make though was that there are very few of the possible pages that have been seen by anybody, because it's created on the fly, on requests. The two top stikers of the division may have been compared more than once, but the system allows any player to be compared with any other... and I know there are more than 400 players there, so that makes at least tens of thousands of different graphs. It's not too clever a page either... the point I was making was that "the net" cannot be recorded since it would take unbelievable amounts of space to record all possible choices by the viewer. Much of the "net" has never been, and will never be seen because there will be no requests for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom