Bad CPU? Bad overclock?

Too hot would be between 70-80+c. 50c is actually standard load temp for people with regular ambient temps.
I asked PP about my temp a little while ago and up to 62C is a fine temperature according to AMD, and PP told me that Thats mainly just to cover there bases, just like most companies like to do. He said CPU throttling occurs around 75C or so, and I am not quite sure if this is right, he said the CPU turns off when it reaches 90C so there is nothing to worry about.

Also when gaming on GTA4 with ICEnhance Mod(hardcore graphics mod) and metro 2033 when my cpu usage is 80% or higher my temps are around 50C or so, and my GPU is around 59C when maxed, Keep in mind when I stress tested these I was at 62C @ 3.4ghz and 63(never above 63) @ 3.6GHZ. My GPU when I used Furmark for awhile was at 70C. I once reached 74C when It was like 74F inside my house( hot, heater screwed up)

I plan on cleaning my computer with a blow up bed pump(this is ok right) after I add my Scythe slipstream 120CFM fan(arrived today, PP recommended it to me) and After I hook up my USB 3.0 connector extender that will arrive in a few days, If I decide to get a Hyper 212 Evo I will clean it after I install that.

Try not to forget, TJMax (found on Coretemp) is an Intel term. My 940BE usually loaded around 68c under a TRUE120 at 3.9GHz. My 955BE was cooler due to better cooling but what AMD says is for a stock CPU, which is totally correct. You shouldn't be hitting 62c at stock clocks for anything. If your load temps are around 50c with a stock cooler that's fine. Just remember that the smaller the heatsink, the warmer the ambient temps, the harder it is for the CPU to be cooled.

For the record, I run on the fine line between crazy and whoa on temps. My 750 right now with low speed fans hits about 68c at 3.8GHz. I don't really care though because I've always lived in warm places (hate that) and my CPUs always ran on the warm side with no problems. The only temp I really keep tabs on is GPU.

Edit: IIRC Coretemp said TJMax for the 955BE was 99c. It should be the same for the 965.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm just paranoid about it and I live with the window open at like 0c in this room. Not to mention during summer I run the AC full blast. I guess I'm just crazy like that but my cooling solutions consist of spliced half-ass put together fans that are literally shoved into the molex 12v lines LOL. I'm sure PP knows what he's talking about with max temps I just like to air on the side of caution. 60c makes me nervous.

Well when you live with Santa Clause to game I could understand that :p

this made me think, would this be a little bit bad? because of the drastic temperature changes in the components, seeing as it expands like crazy and contracts like crazy it would stress your system and make cracks in the metal more achievable?

this made me think, would this be a little bit bad? because of the drastic temperature changes in the components, seeing as it expands like crazy and contracts like crazy it would stress your system and make cracks in the metal more achievable?

Once youare up and running it becomes a steady state, well that is if you dont shut on/off and fluctuate large load levels.

Back
Top Bottom