Thinking about buying an SSD

Veraster

In Runtime
I have an Alienware M14x laptop. It boots up painfully slow with its 7200rpm 480gb HDD. Once it finally gets booted up its as fast as a normal clean computer. I've been defragging the hard drive, making sure to disable any unnecessary startup applications and running virus scans every now and then.

All my other computers are fast enough with standard HDDs and boot up fairly quickly. This laptop is the only one I'm not fully happy with. It has more hardware that requires tray icons to run than most computers do. This makes it take forever to boot up. I've disabled about half of the tray icons that I've found to be unimportant but it's still slow.

In a few weeks I will be moving to an apartment where I will be living for the next few months. It's going to be too small to set up my desktop and everything so I'm going to just use this laptop as my primary computer.

So I am thinking about buying an SSD. The only problem is that a 120GB or 256GB unit won't cut it for me. I need space unlike most SSD owners. All my programs and games take about 260gb once installed and as time goes by, I will probably accumulate more stuff that takes even more space. So I'm looking at 480GB-512GB SSDs.

The plan is clone my current drive to a new SSD. OCZs Vertex 4 drive is out of the question because I've heard you have to completely reinstall your OS because cloning doesn't work due to the extremely complex and "detructive" (whatever that means) drivers. It's $100 cheaper than any of the other similar drives but I'd have take on the horrible, excruciatingly extensive chore of reinstalling EVERYTHING. Time is money so I'd rather buy a more expensive drive that works with cloning and not have to reinstall everything.

The Corsair Force Series GT looks like a good one to me. It has good read and write speeds, has good reviews and costs a little less than Intel's. Are these good drives? I would rather save a little bit of money by not buying an expensive Intel drive but if all the other SSDs suck I will fork out the extra money. Buying cheap crummy hardware only causes lots of trouble later.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but there is really no point in buying an Intel SSD unless you are just that paranoid, and even still depending on what you do a different SSD could outlast it. I think you'll find that getting an SSD will be much quicker than any of your other drives as no HDD can match the latency and snappiness of an SSD. Honestly with having that much money in hardware you should have an SSD in your main rig too lol.

Corsair make good SSDs. My next one will probably be a Corsair as well.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but there is really no point in buying an Intel SSD unless you are just that paranoid, and even still depending on what you do a different SSD could outlast it. I think you'll find that getting an SSD will be much quicker than any of your other drives as no HDD can match the latency and snappiness of an SSD. Honestly with having that much money in hardware you should have an SSD in your main rig too lol.

Corsair make good SSDs. My next one will probably be a Corsair as well.

I would have to agree with that. Intel SSD's are over hyped and will perform the same way as some of the little less expensive SSD's. It also is great to have an SSD as your boot drive due to the speed of it. Also I like to use my SSD for intensive applications such as editing software. Im a big fan of the SSD's that OCZ makes. They are very reliable from my experiences.

Not to mention Intel drives are typically slower in sequential and IOPS than other drives.

Can't agree with the OCZ comment.
Well if the IOPS are slower on Intel SSDs, I don't want to pay around $70 more when Corsair SSDs are good drives. Corsair makes good ram so they should make good SSDs since those two things are somewhat similar anyway lol

Hi, to answare your question the best bet for you is to invest in a raid also called a reduntant arrays disketts go to ebay or any other tech sales company and, put in raid they are basically a box that holds multible ssd.They are intergrated so the ssd space is all one you can build your own to.Just look for empty raid cases buy ssd and, put them together there are cases that hold two
to ten ssd any more then that your talking industrial. Any ways, I hope this knowledge will help you good day.

I'm planning to eventually have two SSDs in raid 0 on my desktop but that's for another time. Right now I just need to put one SSD in my laptop.
Anyway I ordered a Corsair Force GT SSD from Amazon.

Well I've got everything set up and working. The SSD was a lot lighter than I thought it would be. I could see the inside through the extremely simple plastic case and it's got like one circuit board.

Everything's faster than I thought it would be too. Crap doesn't randomly "stop responding" when I'm trying to do a lot of stuff at once. When I buy another one for my desktop, it's going to be a Corsair drive.

Back
Top Bottom