Power issue causing other problems?

Ucf.knights

Solid State Member
I built this PC about a month ago with no issues during the build.

Within the past two weeks I'm seeing some odd behavior and I can't seem to nail it down.

First, there was an issue in which the computer would not boot at all. It would start to boot up and right as a fan would begin to turn on, the boot would stop. I checked all of the power connections and tried again - it worked. Possibly just a connection issue, but this incident is where other issues began popping up.

Second, the Blu-Ray player will not play movies. It opens/closes but does not recognize a disc being in the drive. I've used it a few times after initial installation, so I know this is an issue that's occurred within the last two weeks.

Third, the computer will not shut down. It goes through a normal shutdown and the monitor even turns off, but the computer is still on. Fans are running and status indicators are active. The computer does fully shut down when going through a restart though so I believe this is possibly a setting somewhere.

Configuration:
Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz - Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220
Corsair Builder Series CX600 600W - Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
ASRock H77M - Newegg.com - ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti - Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P4-3650-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
Antec Gaming Series One Black Steel ATX Mid Tower - Newegg.com - Antec Gaming Series One Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) - Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
Samsung 830 Series 128GB - Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM - Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
LG Optical Drive - Newegg.com - LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-Ray Burner with SW, 3D Play Back - BH14NS40
Wireless Network Card - Newegg.com - Rosewill RNX-G300EX Wireless Card IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128bit WEP WPA WPA2 802.1x, 802.11i, AES, TKIP with 100cm cable external 2 dBi Antenna

Regarding the third issue. I've tried doing a clean boot and it still hangs up on shutdown. I've also looked at the “View advanced information about your computer's performance” and don't see any glaring issues.

Very Strange issue for sure. Have you tried resetting your bios to default. I doubt this will help on the Blu Ray player issue but i'm thinking about the problem with shutting down. Also do you have another power supply you can test with?Also have you checked your front header pin layout? Power reset and such.

Sorry for the delay in getting back; holidays had me tied up. Thanks for the advice, here's a rundown of what I've done since I last posted.

So I reset the bios to default and disconnected the Blu-Ray player to see if it was hanging out the shutdown. Neither fixed the issue.

What do you mean to check for with the front header pin? There is a reset button but it does nothing when the computer is hung up in the shutdown.

I do not have another power supply to test with unfortunately.

Which operating system(s) are you running? Can you confirm the SATA port is enable/turned on from your bios menu? If the problem persists, I would try switching ports and then switching cables. +1 for checking the front cabling. You will find a reference in your manual, make sure the wires line up with the wire layout diagrams for your front panel. Something as small as one pair of cables in the wrong pin position could result in disaster. Best of luck mate - Rube

I have to agree. Go through your PC and make sure everything is plugged in properly by unplugging and plugging back in. RAM, GPU, Drives, ect. Double check that your front header is plugged in properly. Try changing SATA ports for the BD to see if it fixes your disc issue.

Back
Top Bottom