HP Compaq nc6230 starting & slow response problem

b.haroonhoney

Solid State Member
Hi Guys, I'v a laptop HP Compaq nc6230. It has a problem in starting and if if it does after some time the system response time will get slower and slower. I've installed a new RAM, HDD, and battery. I've tested with fresh XP and 7 OSs as well with no other software. Means there is no virus problem at all, and the Processor, RAM, HDD and battery is working fine and tested.
Please note that when I start the laptop after a long time it will start ok. But after using it for some time it gets HOT and system response time gets slower and slower, and at this point if I've to restart it again then it will just hangs before the boot screen. I see only black screen before appearing boot screen. At this moment all the normal lights blink and plus with lots of sound of system which shows that system is started but get still and not proceeding further.
The problem not seen when the laptop start from cold temperature. And after starting windows when I open applications, they all open very slowly and response of the application very slow. Even very light applications not working in normal speed. No blue screen errors.
Please guyz help me in this regard, how to solve this starting and slow response time of the system.

If you really want to keep this laptop (though I don't why you would), you need to take a closer at the heat issue. If what you're describing is the laptop getting REALLY hot, it may have had a adverse effect to the motherboard. Unfortunately, the ATI graphics and the Pentium M processor don't make the heat issue go away easily. The fact the problems don't start happening until it's been on for a little while, also hints at heat being the issue.

1. You could try opening the laptop up and clearing out the dust. (if you haven't done so already)
2. Make sure the CPU fan is working correctly, possibly take it out and clean or replace. (this will at least prevent unwanted insulation)

When you get to point when the only way to keep the laptop cool is to keep a constantly blowing fan aimed at your laptop, then it's probably time to think about a new one. Just saying...

Thanks first of all for your kind response. yes I haven't tried these two things suggested by you so now I'll and inform you then. Actually I don't have money to buy a new one :(

That's cool, trust me I realize everyone has higher priorities than "buying a new laptop". The thing about keeping a fan constantly on the laptop when it was on wasn't a joke though. If push comes to shove, try doing that as well. It's a pain and annoying, but, again, trust me that's how I got my first laptop to make it through college when it was consistently overheating.

yup Yevrag35, you are right man. And now I'v tried to run an application right after stating my laptop. Believe me it was working a little better coz the temperature of the system in normal state as it is not too long after the start. So its obviously the heat and fan problem. Thanks dude I'll apply your worthy suggestions and will soon buy a new one as well.

yup Yevrag35, you are right man. And now I'v tried to run an application right after stating my laptop. Believe me it was working a little better coz the temperature of the system in normal state as it is not too long after the start. So its obviously the heat and fan problem. Thanks dude I'll apply your worthy suggestions and will soon buy a new one as well.

Is the fan even working? Do you hear it getting really loud or have really hot air coming out of the vent?

Yeah, sounds like a heat issue to me. Try a fan on it or try one of those cooling mats.

May be :(.. after the cleaning service.. there is no effect and the problem is still there. Sorry one thing I forgot to mention that sometimes system hangs any time. It looks like in pause condition. It feels there is no mouse, USB and keyboard attached. No blue screen errors but hanging there as long I'v to force it shutdown by power button. This hanging or pause condition looks similar to that one when the system does not boot up. In this condition as I said earlier as soon as I push the power button, the lights on but BIOS doesn't load but remain in hang position there.. only black screen.

That's cool, trust me I realize everyone has higher priorities than "buying a new laptop". The thing about keeping a fan constantly on the laptop when it was on wasn't a joke though. If push comes to shove, try doing that as well. It's a pain and annoying, but, again, trust me that's how I got my first laptop to make it through college when it was consistently overheating.

After the cleaning service.. there is no effect and the problem is still there. Sorry one thing I forgot to mention that sometimes system hangs any time. It looks like in pause condition. It feels there is no mouse, USB and keyboard attached. No blue screen errors but hanging there as long I'v to force it shutdown by power button. This hanging or pause condition looks similar to that one as I said earlier when the system does not boot up. The lights on but BIOS doesn't load but remain in hang position there.. only black screen.

Back
Top Bottom