Honey, I think I fried the motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

katsumoto

Baseband Member
The nightmare all started yesterday when I bought this new, supposedly quieter case from some store in town. The case is meant to hold ATX boards, specifically pentium 4 boards and has its own Codegen 350-watt power supply. I originally bought it to contain the new system I was building (which is going to be very powerful and thus loud) but I became so impatient--I HAD to test the case RIGHT away. So I transferred the motherboard from my old system (Soyo, sy-7vca-e pentium III mainboard) to the new case--without a grounding wrist strap. I unplugged all of the power cords to my drives, the motherboard, and the old case, took out all of the PCI and AGP cards connected to the mainboard (left the RAM installed), unscrewed the monstrocity, lifted it off the old case with my bare hands, and proceeded to fasten it onto my new case. I screwed it onto the new case only to wonder why it didn't reach all the way down to the side panel (I figured out why later, it was because I didn't put in any spacers) so the case was "bent" from where the printer port and monitor port and usb plugs were to where I screwed it in. Then I tried to connect the video card and the rest of my PCI cards into their ports only to find that they didn't connect all the way and it was impossible for them to because the board was too far down. Well, I tried it anyways. Finally, I took the rest of my drives and moved them to the new case and connected all the cables too. After that, it was all a matter of connecting the LED cables to the board and I don't even know if I did it right (I did it according to a short manual that came with the case, not with the board). So I put in the plug, turned the switch and---------...nothing, the fan doesn't even turn on! Someone please help me! I even tried putting the motherboard and everything back in their original case but it doesn't work.

I held it by the edges. Now I know what my problem is--thank you a thousand times. You see, my metal screws have these "washers" that're made of cloth or paper or something and I lost two of these so two of my screws are without these washers. I thought that might be the problem. I'll try putting plastic screws or finding the washers.

Most motherboards have protection against the screws... look where the screws are, and see if there is a metal coating where the screw head would go then there is no need to worry. If not, then you should have plastic washers, or plastic screws to protect against it. You may have fried it, but there is always hope...

I hope there IS hope! I can't find any of these motherboards for cheap--even on eBAY! My board does have these metal coatings so I think I'll try the other alternatives. Thanks.

Hey, thanx for all the advice and help and stuff guys but in the end, it was fried. I've tried everything to no avail. There goes like $60 U.S. I am SUCH a klutz!

wait no, dont buy it yet. this happened to me too. take everything out of the case and remove everyting even ram and all of that. then put it back in. it could just be static discharge(my case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom