New Gaming/Editing rig

DBow14

Baseband Member
Hey guys I want your input on my new rig that i'm building to see what you guys think of it. Im really excited to build it and wanted to give you guys the component list of my new rig.

Processor: Intel core i7 3930k
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850
Case: NZXT Phantom 820
CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 670 superclocked 4GB 256bit
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm 64mb
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 60GB SATA III
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I am extremely excited to start building this thing and this is going to make an awesome rig.

Last edited:
What kind of editing? If you want to hardcore game I would have spent more money on the GPU than CPU. PSU is pretty overkill too, and I would opt for a better bigger SSD.

I do video editing. I don't do hardcore gaming but for what gaming I do the Video card will be more than plenty. Plus i can always buy myself a second GTX 670 if I want to upgrade. I like having a bigger power supply just for that reason of expansion and it will also allow me in the future if I want to build another rig to use that power supply in that one later down the road. The SSD is the only thing that I would change or possibly buy another one.

You can run a 690 and 670 SLI on 650w of power as an FYI. GPUs and CPUs are only going to lessen in TDP as time goes on. If I had to pay for a PSU right now it would probably be an HX650 instead or similar wattage Seasonic platinum. For the record, I did not pay for my HX850 or my TT 1000w.

I haven't done any video editing with Premier yet but I have used Vegas Pro 9 x64 and it hardly used my 3960x. I was pretty disappointed. Overall, good rig. It'll make you plenty happy lol.

I honestly did not know you could run a 690 and 670 SLI. Can you do the same with a 670 and 680?

Also what do you mean you didn't pay? Did you get them donated?

I also do a lot with sony vegas 11, after effects, and some cinema 4d.

Minimum system requirements for GTX690 is 650w PSU because it only draws 300w of power. An overclocked 670 draws only 182W peak so 2 of those plus a 130w CPU is only 494w. 2 stock 680s + 130w CPU (SB-E) is roughly 520w peak usage. If you went IB those are 77w TDP. My 3960x at 4.2GHz fully loaded took less than 130w actually. With new regulations and such like I said TDP is just going to go down as the years progress. People are actually complaining lately that computer parts are taking up too much power. Unthusiasts pfffft.

Btw, I did not mean you could run a 690 and 670 SLI together. I meant, you can run a 690 or 670 SLI on a 650w PSU. Just as long as it's a quality unit.

1000w TT was a review sample from 2008, and the Corsair came in a Craigslist PC that tax return money bought. Not exactly free on that one, but close enough.

Vegas is on 11? I need to get with the times rofl.

lol yeah. I actually was using 10 when I was looking up some new things and found out that 11 has been out for some time. And also by a review sample? How do you become applicable for a review sample.

For that particular site they asked for staff apps back in 08 and so I applied. The review manager knew me as we talked on a regular basis so brought me on. I had to quit it for a while and I saw them ask for more people from their Facebook page so asked if I could be brought back on and here we are.

As for other sites, I have no idea. I suppose they either approach or be approached.

Back
Top Bottom