Beginner here - need a new rig.

szitler

Solid State Member
Hi,

First of all i'd like to welcome myself, im adam

Im no good with PC's but i like to play the odd game, namingly Guild wars 2. At the mo i can rung medium graphics but FPS can drop low down to 10-15 fps which is unplayable.

I bought my current PC in feb this year, and its finally paid off on finance, i want to do it the right way and possibly build, or even buy a new computer that will allow fast internet browsing as well as gaming on high graphics with no fps worries.

current specs:

Intel core i3 2120
Integrated Intel HD graphics (i know this sucks)
6gb DDR3 RAM.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction, and please dont confuse me!

thanks
adam

I had a big discussion about my GPU and power supply on another forum. my pc case is TINY and the power supply is laughable, the guys were shocked on another forum. they suggested i buy like an absolute tonne of equipment to buy and we finally came to the conclusion of buying a new pc outright.

So thanks for the comment, but i still need some advice !

DBow i honestly havent a clue, it was ages ago since i had said discussion...

ive came here just so some one can at least guide me in the direction, ive had a look at a few other threads where some pc gurus have simply listed every component to buy with a link to buy the item... Im sorta looking for that...

Well I'm usually the person to do that, but what you have now is fine for what you want to do. Really, that CPU and RAM amount is fine. Your FPS problem is all in the IGP which you are using as they aren't made for gaming.

What is the model of computer you have since I'm guessing this is a pre-built in a mini tower of some sort. If your motherboard isn't proprietary we can simply recommend you a case, PSU, and GPU in your budget to do this.

If you absolutely want to build a completely new PC then I can list one off, but reusing your HDD, motherboard, CPU, and optical drive would save a ton of money so you can put it elsewhere like an SSD. I'll need the budget and website you want to buy from.

ok mate,

its an Acer Aspire X3990, im all ears, willing to listen to what you gotta say! and yeah its a prebuilt thing from comet. i had a 7 year old PC before this so as soon as i saw decent specs i just bought this...

If you can advise on what to buy, replace and how to do this...

thanks

Ok you have an itx rig which has a PCI-E slot and is capable of being reused but for the time being lets just assume you need a new board. Going to need a budget because if I build blind you could wind up spending a few grand :p

Also a site you prefer to order from. The de facto here is newegg.com but since you aren't based in the US that's why I have asked.

Could knock the RAM off that list to save some money, but otherwise this is a good list. Only thing I can see would be not needing as much PSU wattage, but I doubt the savings with a lower wattage PSU would make it worth it. That one's modular as well, so that sells it on me.

Back
Top Bottom