Trouble hooking up 2nd monitor

XGC Forsakend

Student & Lover of Games
So I recently purchased a PC and have been up all night working on it. I want to add and have it display on the two monitors I have, but the 2nd one does not have a picture.

At first I hooked up both DVI-i cables to the back and got no picture. I then realized it was the wrong connector. I checked the blue one and it didn't match either.

Looking up online, it appears to be a VGA cable or so, its got 24 holes for the pins and is rectangle shaped.

Free shipping! wholesale 50pcs lots DVI 24+5 pin to VGA adapter connector converter M/F DVI I DVI D-in Computer Cable Adapters from Computer & Networking on Aliexpress.com

Knowing I don't have the cable, i switched it to the blue 'standard' one and plugged it into the correct part in the back but no picture displays either. Is there something special I need to do or can I not have 1 standard (blue) and 1 DVI-i (white)? Or do I need to get that VGA to standard adapter for it to work?

Thanks for any replies.

edit: if I confuse any parts or terms, please forgive me. I am an idiot when it comes to hardware :p

I actually have what sounds like the same set up. It does work if you are using a VGA connector and a DVI connector on 2 different monitors. Check to see that the quality set on your computer is not set too high like 1600x900 and so forth. I would try to change that down until you receive an image.

I have a question for you. Are you using a video card or are you using your inboard video connections. If you have a video card it automatically disables the inboard graphics and therefor you can't connect one port to your video card and one to your onboard.

Do you have one monitor working and you are trying to get a second one or are you setting up 2 completely brand new monitors that have not been hooked up yet? If you are hooking up a second monitor whenever you already had one hooked up you will have to display some display properties to set it so it is set up for dual screen. This can be accomplished by right clicking the desktop and going to I believe screen resolution for win7.

Hope this helped in some way and if not I apologize. Please ask any more questions you have.

Last edited:
Lost internet so using phone. Expect spelling errors :p

Yea both monitors are brand new and I have checked under display settings. Didn't see an option for 2nd monitor.

If by video card you mean graphics card...then yes I have one. So that means the one the motherboard has is overridden and no longer works? If so, that might solve part of my problem.

Is there any way I could turn that 24+5 pin to go with dvi-i or does it only convert to the blue cable now?

Will it matter if I use 1 dvi and 1 blue one...as in any major difference?

What if my monitor takes that 24+5 input and I find a cable for it. Would that work too and how is that different from my previous question?

Thanks ^_^

I'm confused. Your two monitors are using DVI, correct? And your video card has one VGA and one DVI? Or both are DVI?

Which one does the cable end with and which one is on the video card:
DVI_Connector_Types.svg

I'm confused. Your two monitors are using DVI, correct? And your video card has one VGA and one DVI? Or both are DVI?

Which one does the cable end with and which one is on the video card:
DVI_Connector_Types.svg

Sorry if I sound confusing. Ill edit this post once I get home and double check that I am saying the right names. The graphics card supports dvi-i and dvi-e(or was it dvi-d..white cable and 24+5 connector.

Monitors currently using a dvi-i/d and the blue trapezoid looking connector cable.

Again, will edit in an hour.

Lost internet so using phone. Expect spelling errors :p

Yea both monitors are brand new and I have checked under display settings. Didn't see an option for 2nd monitor.

If by video card you mean graphics card...then yes I have one. So that means the one the motherboard has is overridden and no longer works? If so, that might solve part of my problem.

Is there any way I could turn that 24+5 pin to go with dvi-i or does it only convert to the blue cable now?

Will it matter if I use 1 dvi and 1 blue one...as in any major difference?

What if my monitor takes that 24+5 input and I find a cable for it. Would that work too and how is that different from my previous question?

Thanks ^_^

You can indeed use 1 DVI and 1 VGA(blue one). And also yes i meant Graphics Card. If you have a Graphics card it will automatically disable the onboard graphics from your motherboard. So your video ports on your mohterboard will no longer be able to be used.

Back
Top Bottom