RAM timings changing in BIOS upon inserting second memory module.

autovick18

Beta member
Hey guys,

I just got new ram, and my pc posts fine with only one module in, but if I insert the second, it won't post at all, just blank screen.
I finally figured out that for some reason, when inserting the second module, the bios RAM timings were changing themselves to something like 5-5-5-12 or similar, when they should be 9-9-9-24.
I switch them back to what they should be, boot up to windows, turn off pc, unplug it, and insert second module and try to boot but nothing besides fans whirring.

I need to figure out why the timings are changing upon second module insertion, and fix it.
I have the latest bios for my mobo.

Running:
ASROCK 880GM=LE MOBO
AMD Phenom II 970, OC to 4200mhz and proper voltage for such
Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 2x4gb memory kit
Corsair builder's series 750w PSU
Radeon HD5750 GPU OC to 750 mhz
Zalman aftermarket CPU cooler
WD 300g Velociraptor 10Krpm HDD

They're not on auto...I set them to where they should be manually, and they are reverting back to the wrong ones.

Make sure auto overclock is off,
Advanced Clock Calibration is off,
Reset CPU clocks and voltage to normal,
Set DRAM Voltage to 1.65v,
Memory to Unganged,
Bank Interleaving on Auto,
Channel Interleaving on XOR of Address Bit,
Set all RAM settings to auto,

Try and see if it boots. If it doesn't, try setting first 4 to 9-9-9-24 while leaving the rest on auto.

If either of these work then reset your CPU overclock. I'm gonna take a smoke break and will check back with your results.

I had already done all of that except the "Channel Interleaving on XOR of Address Bit". I tried that and it didn't work. Btw, what does XOR mean? I just tried the two available address bit options.

I'm not sure what to do...I've also booted it single channel with both sticks, so it's not a bad module problem.

Have you tried setting to looser timings just to see if it would work?

I have no idea what XOR means, but it shows it in the manual that way so figured that was default. So you have it disabled now?

Yeah it is.
I'm kinda stumped on this... really getting annoying.
I just want to use my comp, lol.
Is building your own always this much of a hassle? I had other problems for weeks after I initially built it and it took forever to get it to work. I didn't think a simple ram upgrade would cause this much trouble.

No these days pretty much everything is automated. The only thing I can really suggest is just try looser timings, slightly more voltage, and keep CPU stock until the issue is resolved. I recommend a lot of ASRock boards for Intel because they are super solid but I can't say the same for their AMD lineup due to not having any experience with them.

What do you mean by looser? I don't understand ram timing, so I don't feel confident just adjusting it. I checked today and the numbers it was reverting to were 6-6-6-15 rather than my previously stated 5-5-5-12.
Still lower than the recommended 9-9-9-24. Should I try higher than that last number or?...

6-6-6-15 would technically be DDR2 timings, so yea that is for sure why it isn't booting. Thing is, it shouldn't be doing that.

Looser timings means those numbers are higher. So set it to say, 10-10-10-26, or 11s, ect.

Back
Top Bottom