High Tempretures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i reseated it whilst i also put more thermal paste on after talinkg the old layer off. It reduced temps to about 53 celcius, not bad. Thanx a lot!

When you apply thermal paste, you DO NOT spread it out with anything. You are supposed to put a small dab (about the size of an uncooked grain of rice) in the center of the CPU core, then the force of the heatsink being attached to the socket will spread for you. Too much thermal paste is a bad thing, as it can greatly reduce its effectiveness and most cheaper pastes are conductive, so its not too good to get that on the CPU packaging, as the bartons do have circuitry on top of the package around the core.

FuriousYellow said:
When you apply thermal paste, you DO NOT spread it out with anything. You are supposed to put a small dab (about the size of an uncooked grain of rice) in the center of the CPU core, then the force of the heatsink being attached to the socket will spread for you.

just pushing the paste on there will not guarantee it covers the entirety of the chip. what good is it if you are only cooling part of the chip? you want the entire chip covered so it will make better heat transfer. i been doing it this way for years, and it never hurt any of my hardware. running 32C @ 1.75v...got the entire center of chip and heatsink covered in thermal paste. if the socket force does not spread it evenly then you have t apply MORE...and that is usually too much. spreading it out yourself guarantees the entire chip sill get cooled.

Hi all,

Thanks again for all your suggestions, but found the problem. Had nothing to do with the heatsink of cooling for that matter. Apparently, the power supply seems to be the problem, according to my friend who built the computer.

Anyway changed the power supply and what do you know, the system is know stable and running about 10C lower.

for those that what to know it is a 400w psu.

thanks

nige

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom