What to upgrade first

lazor

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my computer, and after going through many of the tutorials I'm still unsure on what I should get first. I'd like to be able to run games like Skyrim on higher settings, as it lags even on medium. I'm a full-time student so I can probably save about $100 a month towards parts.

My specs are:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz
RAM: 6.2 GB
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (build 7600), 64-bit
Video Card: GeForce GT 220
Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio
FreeDiskSpace: 300GB

I got this computer about two years ago and realize it's already kind of outdated but can't afford to get a new one, and I'm just wondering what I should upgrade first (again, primarily just to run games at better settings). Thanks for any help!

Your computer is fine with the exception of your video card. You don't really need more ram or a better CPU, just check out your PSU to make sure it is high enough wattage to run a 660 or 650ti even would be another good option since you are low on money. Both would be an enormous upgrade from your current GPU. Remember most games don't take very much processing power, mainly your GPU that pulls the weight for video games. Their are exceptions though.

I just went today from what I have in my sig to your exact CPU with a GTX 580. If you got a 7870, or 660ti you would play any game perfectly. We need to make sure your PSU is up to the task though.

Awesome, thank you guys so much for the replies. It's late so I'm going to have my dad help me find out my PSU tomorrow. So if the PSU is good enough, would the 660 be that much better than the 650ti? It's about $100 more and I'm rather broke because of the holidays. Also, the 650 TI had an option for a 1GB and a 2GB version, I'm assuming the 2GB would be a better option?

Thanks again for the help! :)

Back
Top Bottom