Just built my computer... but it isn't working!

Notedog

Baseband Member
Hey everyone, I just built my computer that was made with help from you guys on this site. This is the build that I ended up with...

AMD A10-5700, Silverstone SST-PS07B - System Build - PCPartPicker

Here are some pictures of my unit

ImageShack Album - 17 images

Here is another thread where I'm being helped

Just built my computer... but it doesn't work! | IGN Boards

And this is my problem...

At first, every time I hit the power button the fans would spin for as long as I held the button down, then they would stop. I noticed there was one fan plug from the power supply that wasn't connected, when I plugged it in, the unit wouldn't turn on at all. The plug had four sockets coming from four wires on it. The two middle wires were black and the manual said that the top wire had to be black. So I pulled it out and plugged it in with the black wire on the top, and the top wire connected to nothing. When I turned the computer on it started running normally. But...

When I hit the power button on top of the computer to turn it on it works, but it doesn't let me turn the computer off. Once the computer is on the power button does nothing. I have to turn it off using the button on the power supply.

The DVD drive doesnt work. I have a SATA cable connected to the motherboard, and a cable from the power supply connected to it.

Although the lights and the fans turn on, the unit is obviously not completely working, because when I connect the dvi and VGA cables to my new screen it says "no dvi/vga connection detected."

Can anyone help me?

Edit-My case only came with three risers. So that's all I put in. Could that be the problem?

Last edited:
Make sure all your front pin out header is connected correct. Like the power and reset wires.Im not sure I understand the problem with the wires. Also the wire you alterd which fan did you hook it to? Ive never heard of a power supply with the wire in the wrong spot on the plug.You should have the two black wires in the center these are the ground wires. You could dammaged something by changing them.

All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors

Here are some plug pinout photos.

Does your DVD drawer open do you have power to it?

Yah i agree double check the panel pins. or take a clear picture on it with clear pins label.

You must take it seriously when it comes to Power issue.

1stly you must take out the cable that switch on/off the computer.Then try the ancient way of switching on your motherboad..which is by using a screwdriver to switch on.and u switch it off again by doing the same.If the board can switch off replace your switch.if the problem persists then you might consider changing your ram

Back
Top Bottom