Video errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk

Baseband Member
Not long ago I installed a new XFX Nividia 5200 card into my old desktop (1.1Ghz AMD running Windows ME). Since then I've gotten some errors and it falling to a blank screen and so forth, but it wasn't too often so I didn't think much of it. Last night I installed 512MB of new RAM in, and it booted up fine, detected the RAM, and all seemed well. However, in about 1 minute or two, the blue screen of death started coming up, or the screen just went black, and I'd have to reboot. Later on that night, though, again, the screen just went black - and I noticed it seemed to do it right when a window would be popping up. This morning I thought maybe it wasn't the new RAM after all so I took out the old RAM and put in the new stick of 512, booted up, everthing seemed fine. Just to test it I went to run MS Pinball Arcade, and as soon as I did, this error came up:

VDD(03) + 00001816 Error: 00 : 0028 : C023ID9E

I pushed Enter to return to windows, the error came up again. Pushed enter again, and I did return to windows, but the screen was frozen. Another reboot, and while it was doing that I came in here to ask this question. Is it the new RAM? The new video card? I've downloaded the current drivers already. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Update: I used PC Doctor to test memory, video, AGP, and CPU and they all came up fine. Tried to run Pinball Arcade again, pressing the quicklaunch button, and it froze up on me again. Tried to run it with the icon in the menu and got "Launcher has caused an error in <unknown>. When I autoran it from the CD, though, the menu screen came up.....

*totally confused*

More news: Trying to restart it from the last freeze, I got a blue screen saying "Windows protection error, your system must be restarted."

Who's thinking I should just trash the thing at this point????

Ive been trying to find that error code but cant locate it. Ill get back with ya after I check somemore.It almost sounds like the wrong drivers.Windows ME is a pain to find the right drivers for.

I typed the error code into google and most of the errors like that one are driver related.

it look like a memory address, so it could your ram. with the vdd, I am thinking video ram
lower your resolution to 800 X 600, then see what happens

After working with it I think there are a number of problems going on at once... one was that the new RAM wasn't working, after I took it out, I didn't get a lot of the blue screens. Another is the new video card I put in - I'm beginning to think it's incompatible with the old motherboard. Lastly, I've been trying to get a USB hard drive working with it, which I didn't think would be such a problem, but has become one. So I'm going to switch out the video card again, and hopefully get things a bit more stable. Thanks for looking into it , though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom