Upgrading PSU

HingleMcCringleBerry

Beta member
So I recently bought this computer for $500

Newegg.com - CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2138 Desktop PC AMD FX-Series FX-8120(3.1GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB Windows 8

It came in the mail and after 2 weeks the hard drive started making a weird sound and the computer just completely died (lol). I had the choice to get it replaced with a new one or return it and pay a $75 restocking fee. I went with a replacement and then did a little research on to why it died (through reviews).

A lot of people are saying to replace the PSU from apparently super crappy "Xtremegear 700w". I know a bit about computers, but when it comes to the power supply I'm quite the noob.

I'd like to upgrade the PSU but I'm not sure what PSU will work. looking for something preferably under $100. Also people have said that the computer had issues with the fan/heatsinks. How do i know which fan/heatsink will fit on my computer? are they all standard or how does that work.

would this be work? "http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341041"

Last edited:
Well, ironically the computer had died on me in 2 weeks, I sent it in for a replacement because I didn't want to pay the $75 restocking fee.

Anyways, thank you so much! On a side note, the PSU you linked and the one I liked are the same price (after rebate). Will having more wattage matter? 650 vs 750

For a PSU you want quality over wattage. Your computer barely caps 300w usage so a 650w would be perfectly fine. To be frank, these TX650 units power computers 2x more powerful (speed wise) than yours. So yea it would be fine lol.

Just an FYI, I wouldn't buy anything OCZ until they fix their fiscal situation and aren't being investigated by the government.

Back
Top Bottom