New Gaming Rig Running Slow..

Devoid20

Solid State Member
Hello all,
Recently I built myself a new gaming rig and I wanted to overclock my CPU for future benchmarking. I used the "Extreme Tweaking" available to me in my BIOS as I have a ASUS Rampage IV Extreme MB. After I screwed with the settings a little I saved and attempted to restart. When the start up page became visible it said "Overclocking failed!" and "Press f1 to access setup". So I did and I reset all settings to their default. However, after starting again i noticed it took a while for the desktop to load, internet explorer/firefox and games too. Once inside a game it would run smoothly for 10 seconds and then it would lag or skip every 5-10. I thought if I set everything back to their defaults It was fixed, did I damage something? Please help.
--Specs--
Asus Rampage IV Extreme MB
Corsair 12 GB 2133 RAM
Regular 1TB HDD
Intel i-7 3960 extreme @3.30Ghz CPU
1200watt PSU
Radeon HD 6990 Video Card
Windows 7
BIOS Ver. 0604

What cooler do you have? If you have something not capable of handling the heat and the extreme setting tried pushing too many volts even for a split second it could have overheated.

Try what patonb says and report back with results.

Thanks for the advice guys, I did the reset and I no longer have issues.

Last edited:
Usually when you see the "overclocking failed" page after the post screen, that means it's having trouble running the RAM at whatever speed your trying to run them at. I have DDR3 1600 on my MB, and i get the error message when I'm a single MHz over 1600 on my RAM speed. When I manually tweak the RAM back down to an even 1600, then the computer acts and boots normally. I noticed that sometimes when you try to OC the cpu, it'll want to overclock the memory proportionally.

This is just from my personal experience.

Back
Top Bottom