OK HDD's are getting very hot now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to lock you PCI bus in the BIOS? If not, you should have some options of changing the CPU/AGP/PCI ratio. That might mean running the PCI bus a little slower than 33Mhz tho. I have heard good things about the hard drives coolers, that they are quite effective, although I have not tried one myself. In my case, I am able to mount a simple 80mm fan infront of my HDDs

No, again, this board only has a LARGE selection of bus speeds and a divider next to the bus speed.

For example, 150 (1/4), 140 (1/4), 124 (1/3), and so on.. It doesn't go higher than 1/4.

I had a HDD cooler....it corrupted my drive. The molex for it was inline with the molex for the HD and i guess it wasn't making good enough contact and gave and took away power to my HD rapidly, thus ruining all the data.

yea those cooldrives are great, except it's kind of like the notion.. how can putting aluminum over your ram help to cool it without a fan? Same sense here, yes there's that little dinky fan, but, do you honestly think that helps? hehe I personally don't think a hard drive cooler is going to help you to the extent you want unless you rapidly reading/writing from the drive 24 hours a day.

i'd just buy 1 or 2 more 80mm fans and mount them on the HD with some tape of put them next to the drives...that's how i cool my RAM.

Demalii said:
yea those cooldrives are great, except it's kind of like the notion.. how can putting aluminum over your ram help to cool it without a fan? Same sense here, yes there's that little dinky fan, but, do you honestly think that helps? hehe I personally don't think a hard drive cooler is going to help you to the extent you want unless you rapidly reading/writing from the drive 24 hours a day.

Those CoolDrives don't have ONE rinky dinky fan, as you put it.. They have two fans on the inside, and one on the outside.

Honestly, I can burn my fingers on my hard drives right now, so yes, they will help.

The reviews I read show a 20F drop in temps while using them.

Features:
-Each temperature sensor corresponds to its own fan Blue LCD backlight display
-Fits in a 5.25" bay
-Has a 40mm fan for HDD cooling
-7 color rotations behind the dial, or just set in single color
-Support 4 fans (max. output 18W)
-Monitoring all 4 fans speed (RPM) and their componentsÂ’ temperature simultaneously
-Not all connections are required to operate
-Reduced energy consumption and fan noise for quieter work environment
-Designed for DIY applications, can also be used for RAID towers, servers, industrial PCs

So like I said, as it only has 1 dinky little fan, you're not going to get the results you wanted...

As 4W4K3 said, 80mm fans for his ram cooling, I use the active one with the 40mm fan on it to help move air around in there. For the hard drives I think adding an extra fan or two in your case would help, maybe relocating your drives also might be a wise decision.

*edit*
Ahh, I checked a couple reviews and found nothing of the sort, in history of any air drive cooler decreasing the temp beyond or at 20F. So I'm not sure where you're reading your stuff.. bs.com or what but here's a site that it trustworthy
http://www.hwextreme.com/reviews/coolers/coolermaster_cooldrive4/page5.shtml

I've gone to the trouble of finding the page in that review that has all the nice little pics. So you can't mistake something...

my HD is cold to the touch...even after hours of gaming it's hardly warm. i would think an 80mm fan is plenty, and alot cheaper. I mean my RAM is 21C with just a single 80mm fan on it...the HD will probly stay under 40C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom