64 bit better than 32 bit?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hi, I have a PC with an Intel Celeron D processor clocked to 3.06 GHz. I recently installed a 64-bit version Ubuntu 12.04.1 on the machine and it is running far smoother and faster than the previous installation of Ubuntu 12.04.1 32-bit it had. I'm not particularly familiar with processor architecture so why is this? After looking at the specs of the processor, the article read that it has a 64 bit instruction set. I don't suppose that could have something to do with it? (Installed mem is 2GB and the HDD is 250 GB if that helps. In addition, it is a dual boot configuration with Microsoft Windows XP Professional.)

By using a 64-bit CPU on a 32-bit OS, you were creating an effect that you could compare to throttling. Just as a funnel slows down the flow of a liquid going through it, having an OS running 32- and a CPU running 64-bit created an inefficiency. As long as you keep everything compatible, you can rest assured that your sweet compy can perform at it's peak.

Unless you're using anything that specifically uses a 64bit instruction set then most likely the smoothness is simply coming from a fresh install.

Back
Top Bottom